Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying an AFR.. Which is best?

I'm finally ready to purchase an AFR. Which brands/models are best? Where to purchase them?

Thanks,
Spoke
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
This is kind of scary, i think we all start to think alike. I just ordered the Innovate LM-2 earlier today. I know there are some install issues that are identified on some threads, but I am somewhat comforted that there are many here using the product and more than willing to chime in with help installing. I looked at the Zeitronix, AEM and Plx, units, and the Innovate just seemed to give me the most comfort in regards to data logging capabilities. I really like the idea behind the plx systems, but it just seems that they are trying to force newer technologies by using adapters instead of redesignig their product with new technologies built in.

In the end, Innovate seems to be the common thread here, so i went with them.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've been looking at the Innovate as well, but I saw the Innovate auto timer w/ LC1 combo and may go that way. One unit can do the job of 2 separate pieces of eqpt in a compact package.
14 535i M Sport
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I use Zeitronix, their units are bulletproof.
I heard to much about frozen Innovates....

+Zeitronix has a switchable relais output,
very good usable for our needs...

Falk
Old 05-22-2010, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have an LC-1 with a DB gauge. I can log via my ECU so this works well for me. I have had no trouble at all with this unit and it appears to be very accurate when I have done dyno time and compared it to a standard. I have fried a couple of the Bosch sensors though and have now moved my sensor past the muffler to get it away from the turbo and its heat.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I have an LC-1 some points all use the same sensor but you need to research the electronics response times they are not all the same, some are extremely slow in electronics terms the innovate product is among the fastest ones and is expandable with many daisy chain options.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk930 View Post
I use Zeitronix, their units are bulletproof.
I heard to much about frozen Innovates....

+Zeitronix has a switchable relais output,
very good usable for our needs...

Falk
+1

And you can even use it to trigger an RPM solenoid when your pushing the limits of CIS.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I did the same search that you are doing several months ago. The Innovate was mind boggling as to how many and what boxes I would need. For my needs, I was going to be in the $700 + range. Others had nice digital display, but no or difficult data logging.

I asked on this list for the options and I could not find a clear winner.

The best value and one of the most accurate is the Daytona Sensors Wego IV. It is now sold by Pelican Parts. I am the one that introduced them to the Wego IV and have an interest in the distribution, so I am biased. However I have no doubt that you will become biased and convinced after doing the research on this unit.

Summary is that for a little more than $400 USD, but get the complete set up. Wide band Bosch sensor, weld-in bung, connectors, harness, display and data logging unit, and all software. The beauty of the WEgo IV is that in the Porsche application there are no hassles getting an RPM signal like the Innovate. You just hook up a wire to the tach. The unit also comes with a USB cable that you plug into the face of the instrument to download 2 or more hours of data. You can look at AFR and RPM in a graph or on a spread sheet.

The Wego IV is very accurate and it is easily calibrated to make up for Sensor aging.

Daytona Sensors LLC - Engine Controls and Instrumentation Systems for Automotive and Motorcycle Applications for lots of technical info.

I have been using one on my MFI 2.7 1973 and it has really worked well. I have it permanently installed and it records AFR any time I am driving.

My MFI is really set up well now that I always know what is going on.
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1995
RGruppe #79

Last edited by dicklague; 05-23-2010 at 07:33 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a photo of the single unit Wego IV. There is also a double unit that will monitor 2 sensors at a time and data log them.

I forgot to mention that there is also another analog input that monitors 0-5 vdc from map sensor, TPS sensor, Temp sensor, and others,

Also the Data is stored in the unit and downloaded later by your laptop. Some units need the laptop to be connected to log data.
RGruppe #79
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklague View Post
Summary is that for a little more than $400 USD, but get the complete set up. Wide band Bosch sensor, weld-in bung, connectors, harness, display and data logging unit, and all software. The beauty of the WEgo IV is that in the Porsche application there are no hassles getting an RPM signal like the Innovate. You just hook up a wire to the tach. The unit also comes with a USB cable that you plug into the face of the instrument to download 2 or more hours of data. You can look at AFR and RPM in a graph or on a spread sheet.
For the same price ($399) you get the same functions with the Zeitronix, and a little better display unit. The Display fits nicely in place of the ashtray. The data logging is very good, but you have to have a laptop or the Dashdaq, and the rpm sensing works fine on my stock 930 ignition. The Zeitronix also offers optional inputs for a variety of sensors, and the really slick ZAVT1 trigger that can can be adapted to a wide range of uses.

If you don't want the display, and prefer to all your data logging with a laptop, you can get by for $279.

I've been using one for 5 years now and never a problem.

No affiliation, except I like their products, check it out:

Zeitronix Order Page

Last edited by WinRice; 05-23-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds good, there are lots of options in AFR instruments, and the Zeitronix sounds like a good choice.

When I asked the same what do a buy question on this list months ago, people were touting the Innovate, and a couple of others. I kept asking if anyone had used the Wego IV and no one had. I tried one and loved it. I have had a very good experience with it and like it very much.

I have a couple of comments.

I have mine mounted in the ashtray slot as well, and it does look good there. I will post a photo.

I have found data logging is VERY important for me, and the Wego IV just logs any time it is running. I don't need to take a laptop with me. The 2+ hours of data is plenty.

The Wego also has a analog input for MAP or TPS. I use mine for MAP with a GM map sensor. I also have a cylinder head temp sensor so I can see whether the engine is fully warm.
RGruppe #79
Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yep, I like the buffer they built into the Daytona, with as cheap as flash memory is these days that's a great idea.

I would be tickled pink if Zeitronix offered a small add-on box that held an SD card for data. Come home, pull the card and read the logs on my home machine. Their DasDAQ does this, but that puts the package price at $700 which is getting up there.

What I liked about the Zeitronix in the first place was the four item display, for me that was important, and with their latest update, the titles and sensors are user configurable. I use IAT, Boost, EGT and AFR. Works well for a 930.

Last edited by WinRice; 05-23-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Old pic, but shows how it fits the dash.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I like the idea of more data on the display. And you are right, it would be good if they built in data logging.

When I am done a run, I just plug in the USB cable to the unit and download the data. Here is what a chart looks like:

this is just a small portion of the run,
RGruppe #79
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Running an AEM unit in my BMW. It's nice for the price with 2.1/16 gauge doesn't datalog but has ouputs for it.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have an lm-1 with the aux box. what ever brand you get make sure it has data logging. when you are making the runs from 2k to 6k in third gear. last thing you want to be doing is focusing on the afr meter. i tried watching it couple times while also logging and completley missed it going lean. which was recorded in the data log.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklague View Post
I like the idea of more data on the display. And you are right, it would be good if they built in data logging.

When I am done a run, I just plug in the USB cable to the unit and download the data. Here is what a chart looks like:

this is just a small portion of the run,
Wow AFRs in the 15 16 range seem lean to me. Detonation is not your friend!!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I use this one from inyourfacegauges:

no datalogging so far but AFRs are in spec
Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
No detonation....anything above 15 is a spike of a fraction of a second on this chart.

Also I have adjusted the linkage to the pump since this chart and things are a lot richer on quick throttle changes. Without data logging you would never know.
RGruppe #79
Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: