Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool New to the "Turbo"Club...

Hello!
911 Design in MontClair, CA. is just wrapping up the conversion of putting a 86' 930 engine into my 83' SC Targa with a Centerforce clutch/pressure plate/flywheel hooked up to my exisiting 5-speed 915 trans.

"Tilikum" comes from the look of the car...Ivory white with black trim, and black-Targa Top. Didn't want to put a 930 tail out back, but of course, that's not negotiable with this intercooled engine.

Anyone helpful tips of what to expect or how to handle this version of a widow-maker, I sure appreciate. I know I'll have to learn how to drive this car all over again.

The motor came with a slightly upgraded K-27 & a K&N Filter(for what it's worth), and everything has been gone thru with a fine tooth-comb from top to bottom.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Welcome to the Turbo World!
If 911 Design took pictures, be sure to get them on a CD or memory stick. You need to post pictures on this forum because the members all have this affliction known in autophile circles as needpixtosis.
Helpful tips, hmmm. 1. Your transmission was not designed to handle the insane amount of instantaneous torque delivered by that engine when the turbo RPM and the fuel system synch up.
2. Be gentle in the lower gears, the higher gears suffer from less torque because you will be attaining speeds that car has never seen and you will be in violation of every speed limit the State of California has on its books, therefor you are more attentive.
3. One man's fine tooth comb is another man's quick visual inspection. Don't place the safety and security of you or your car in the hands of someone else. You can be the only judge if this conversion was done well. Take your time and talk to the mechanic that did the work if you can after you have paid the bill. You might be surprised by what they are willing to tell you.
4. (You may know this one) If you find yourself in a turn on Mulholland Drive and you are a bit over enthusiastic with the accelerator, the rear end may start to slide. Resist all human reflexes to let up on the accelerator and instead "Don't let up". Better to finish the slide than 360 spin uncontrollably into a Cadillac, telephone pole, or whatever. Tires with a high traction rating and slightly reduced pressure may help.

Good Luck and send pictures...
Mark
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: