Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
930 Plug Wire Alternatives

My OEM wires were replaced by a set of Magnacores during a recent tune-up.
I don't like the Magnacores at all. The cap end is too tight and the plug end is too loose. There is a miss at idle that I believe is due to bad connections.

What are the choices? Beru is ~$200, OEM ~$500. I do not believe braided lines are necessary.

What are you guys using and what are your experiences?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Brian,
I agree with your assessment of the Magnecores. I have the Magnecores on my engine and extremely disappointed with plug and coil fitments. The only ones I have seen with decent terminations are the Clewetts. Not affiliated with Clewett, btw.
I agree with the braided lines. If I remember correctly, Porsche added the braided's because they suspected ignition crossfire and were at a loss when the SC's had the problem with the backfiring/airbox debacle. Turned out to be the CIS.......
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Beru's work fine. Never had a problem. Keep in mind my car is a stock 1978.
"it's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" Winston Churchill.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm happy with my Clewetts but I did replace the distributor ends because they go on M&W waste spark coils now.

I had problems with Clewetts original wires several years ago, but they replaced them free of charge and they've worked great since then.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

-1 for the Magnecores.

Not sure what I'll get next time.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

After changing the plug connectors to stainless (they rusted and thereby increased resistance), I use Clewett's (Magnacore I think).
Old 05-24-2010, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've always just bought good quailty wire in bulk and used the early ends that go on the plugs that have the threaded barbs. Then used good coil ends crimp them on and done with it. Have had great service from MSD wire,boots and crimp on ends.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo nut View Post
I've always just bought good quailty wire in bulk and used the early ends that go on the plugs that have the threaded barbs. Then used good coil ends crimp them on and done with it. Have had great service from MSD wire,boots and crimp on ends.
Ok this is what i have been wanting to do whats the part number for the early ends? I have magnacores and hate them. was thinking of using blue max bulk wire and firebraid over that.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

used the magnecores, and of course the oem. I like to clewetts much better then the others. Much better fit and seal.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Just to show how screwed up advice on the internet can be, I'll disagree with everyone so far and piss on the Clewetts. I didn't get 12k out of mine, the dust boot didn't quite fit the valve cover but for me what was worse is they never clicked onto the NGK plugs with authority. I'd push like hell and then tug on it to make sure, but it was more an assumption that they were on good than a known fact. I just moved to Magnecores and am quite happy with them. They "click" on and immediately solved a cold cylinder for me. I still have the bundle of Clewett wires in the event one of the Magnecores flakes on me.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Just to show how screwed up advice on the internet can be, I'll disagree with everyone so far and piss on the Clewetts. I didn't get 12k out of mine, the dust boot didn't quite fit the valve cover but for me what was worse is they never clicked onto the NGK plugs with authority. I'd push like hell and then tug on it to make sure, but it was more an assumption that they were on good than a known fact. I just moved to Magnecores and am quite happy with them. They "click" on and immediately solved a cold cylinder for me. I still have the bundle of Clewett wires in the event one of the Magnecores flakes on me.
When did you buy them? I had problems with Clewett being too tight and the plug coming off the wire when they were removed because they were so tight. They replaced mine and now they click on and off with just the right feel.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have tried them all I found by far the best set I have used are the ones I was supplied from Supertec. They fit the best with the best lengths and tight connections.

I tried and worked with MSD and they took my idea and now offer a set for porsche's Thought not the best. I have magna core and they stunk IMHO and tried making my own from Beru bulk wire and MB ends( the crimp on to wire with the thread boss to the bakalite connectors) that crimp on just like the factory used and they were fine but showed arcing shortly there after. the clewettes are pretty good used them and they work fine though still not the best connection. I think Rothsport has a really nice setup but Not persoanlly used them.

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brian ,I run NOLOGY HOT WIRES and have had no issues with them the fit is right on and easy to install. I have been running them for a number of years on racing boat engines with great success and have had the set on my 964 turbo for five years with out any problems. You can do a little research and see the diff. and with your position you wouldn't have any problem in becoming a dist. for them also.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
All good info, thank you!

Interesting how some have had good luck with Magnacore and some have the same problem as mine. Sounds like a QC issue.

I'll have to check out Nology have zero experience with them. I hand pick the best products so must try myself before endorsing. Unfortunately the manufacturers that give the best dealer discounts usually don't have the best products. One reason why there is so much junk on the market.
But that's a different story; right now I just need the best wires I can get 'cause these ain't workin'.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: