Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
No or very little fuel

I have a 77 Turbo, and had the engine rebuilt last year. I drove the car 2 weeks ago, and have not been able to start it since.

It turns over with out an issue. I have not yet checked to see if there is a spark though. But after cranking, I took one of the plugs out, and there was no fuel on the end of it. There seems to be a little pressure, because there is a tiny fuel leak in one of the hoses that I am going to replace. I did read a couple of other posts, and took off the air filter to depress the metering plate with the key in the run position. I can hear and feel the relays click on and off as the metering plate is depressed, but but I don't hear any fuel pumps (not sure if i should). The fuel filter was new when the engine was rebuilt. There are only about 500 miles on the rebuild so far.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Karsten

1977 Turbo Carrera - Work in progress
1971 911E Targa - Almost gone
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolies View Post
I have a 77 Turbo, and had the engine rebuilt last year. I drove the car 2 weeks ago, and have not been able to start it since.

It turns over with out an issue. I have not yet checked to see if there is a spark though. But after cranking, I took one of the plugs out, and there was no fuel on the end of it. There seems to be a little pressure, because there is a tiny fuel leak in one of the hoses that I am going to replace. I did read a couple of other posts, and took off the air filter to depress the metering plate with the key in the run position. I can hear and feel the relays click on and off as the metering plate is depressed, but but I don't hear any fuel pumps (not sure if i should). The fuel filter was new when the engine was rebuilt. There are only about 500 miles on the rebuild so far.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Karsten
You should be able to hear the pumps. Check your main pump fuse up in the luggage compartment. I'm not entirely sure of the wiring, but even though your relays may energize, that circuit may be separate from the power feed to the pumps downstream from the relays (again, I'm not real sure without a schematic in front of me, but it's a good place to start). If the fuse is blown the pumps won't run, or if the connections are corroded they either won't run or will run sporadically.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I double checked the fuses, and they all looked fine. One of them was loose though. I bent the lower fuse clip up a little, and replaced the fuse. The pumps kick on great now.

Thank you

Glad I took air intake off though. one of the fuel lines has a small leak in it. Would never have seen it without the intake on there.

1977 Turbo Carrera - Work in progress
1971 911E Targa - Almost gone
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You're welcome. Glad it was that simple. It's amazing how many fueling issues are traced to fuses or poor connections up front.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's amazing how many things can go wrong keeping the pumps from running.

2 red relays one for each fuel pump and a fuse up front, a revlimiter relay under the driver seat, an overboost sensor on the blow off housing or intercooler, an airflow meter switch next to the fuel head, and a yellow overboost relay on the back relay panel...

any of these can and will stop the fuel pumps and strand you at the worst times.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: