Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 transmission leak

I have a slow leak coming from a plate on the bottom left side of the transmission in my '82 930. Its secured by six nuts.

Can this plate be removed to fix the leak, or will parts come flying out.

I just got done fixing about a dozen leaks on the engine, so I'd like to get this puppy sealed up too.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Shift fork plate removal..

The answer is yes.. You can remove this plate, install and new paper gasket and re-install.

You'll have a mess if you don't drain the fluid first

Simply remove it and re-install without moving your shifter during the procedure and you should be fine. This will give you a chance to inspect the internals of the transmission while you have it removed as well

This is the part that your talking about..

HFR_Racer

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sometimes those cast aluminum covers are warped around the stud holes possibly from people overtightening the nuts.

If you can see warpage along the edge, put a thicker than usual layer of thick not watery gasket sealer on the paper gasket or it will slowly leak again.

Drop the oil out first, if not changing it now you can save it and put it back in.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I used a little Loctite sealer on mine to keep it sealed. I know one thing that won't work and that's RTV silicone.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used hylomar the first time i put mine back on and it slowly dripped because it's warped.
Second time i used a thick layer of RTV red silicone because thats the only thick gasket sealer I had that would fill in the gap between the stud holes because mine is warped.

Then I wiped off the excess sqeezed out silicone and let the it dry overnight before refilling the transaxle with oil.

Anyway, this time it hasn't leaked or sweated oil at all
Curil T gasket sealer is thick enough to be applied thick and it would probably work too.

Hylomar is too thin, and Copper coat would also be too thin.
Permatex aviation #2 non hardening gasket sealer would also probably work.

I guess loctite 574 would work but I hate cleaning that hard stuff off in the future so I never use it.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies!

Is there a gasket available, or do i need to make one?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

paper gasket

Part #: 915-303-225-00-M260
Brand: O.E.M.
$0.75

Other Brands Available
Genuine Porsche $2.50

they were more than 75 cents when i bought 4 of them...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: