Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Whats to hot???????

Hi just took my 1987 930 out for a ride First time just got it..
The oil temp guage reads right in the middle between the 2 little white marks
Is this about right? This about 30min of drive in 30 degree weather?
Also how long should i keep it running after a drive before i shut it off
Thanks again Dave
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

All this is in the owners manual if one came with your car.

If you mean the oil temp gauge needle is reading around 9 o clock, the oil temp is a bit high especially if it's 30 out.

You should let it idle for 2-3 minutes after driving hard.
If you've been putting along around 30mph on city streets you don't have to let it idle to cool it down because the turbo isn't insanely hot.
Especially if using good synthetic oil with higher flash or noncokeing temperature than nonsynthetic oil.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

86 degrees F (as in 30 degrees C), or 30F? I don't think mine runs much higher than 8 o'clock when cruising in +90F weather. Maybe see 9 o'clock lugging through town on the hot days.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 05-26-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks it runs at about 9 o clock little bit higher, the manuel say long as it does not reach the red zone....
Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

9 o'clock or just north of it should be 212*F. That's not hot, as you want to burn off any moisture in the oiling system.

If you take a small flashlight, and look behind the left side bezel, you will see a white line. That's 212*F to calibrate the guage.

I wouldn't want to go past that by much or for very long.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 05-27-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hot

I have recently invested in an Ryobi hand held laser powered surface temperature gizmo. Quite cool. This temperature business is critical for us air/oil cooled guys. My 930 will run at 250 degrees sump temperature (reading with the Ryobi gizmo) and my 911s is not far behind. Both have front mounted stock coolers that seen to be functioning properly. This is with an ambient temp of 80f.
The air shrouds all seem intact and the spark timing is good.

I would prefer to see closer to 230.

I am sure we have a thread on this, or please chime in.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't like seeing oil temps go over 220... not on any car or motorcycle I've owned but maybe thats just me.
Between 180-210 is perfect.

I'm also biased about safe oil temperatures in a 930 because I have the long B&B center mount oil cooler in a DP 935 air damn/spoiler on my car.
It was on the car when I bought it and the oil temp never goes over the first white hash mark around 8 o clock on the gauge unless I am stuck in non moving bumper to bumper traffic or parked with it idleing for a long time. If that happens onece I start moving the oil temperature comes back down.

and, different year oil temp gauges may be calibrated a little differently but i don't know..

I think 9 o clock on the gauge is around 240-250 degrees and in my opinion oil is starting to break down and lubrication properties are being compromised at oil temps that high. I have heard that more than once.

Most of the time the needle is a hair below that first hash mark around 8 o clock on my car even in the summer in Florida, and I like it that way.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Now this is too HOT !!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Knock it off, I'm trying to eat my lunch here!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

9 to 10 o clock can not be 240 to 250 degrees What is is the temp between the two small hash marks?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

according to the gauge above it's 194 - 248 farenheit or 90-120 celsius.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That little hash mark is 212*.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Bruni,

I seem to have a similar build to you, and I believe I also have a similar problem

I see that your car is also running hot. Mine runs about 8:30 cruising on a cool day, 9:00 if caught in traffic on a cool day, and will easily get up to 10:00+ if it is hot out and I'm in traffic.

This is definitely running WAY hot for a 930 and needs to be dealt with. I also had a previous problem with oil going past the turbo seals (Bruin had PM'd me discussing a similar problem the PO of his car had with turbos), in the end I found out that it wasn't the turbo's fault. The issue was, the car was running so damn hot that the oil would hit the turbo and coke up into little bits. These bits would then get stuck in the scavenge line right before the pump, blocking the return of the oil. The oil would then back up in the turbo and go through the seals causing a huge amount of smoke.

I've solved the first problem by implementing a service regimen that involves checking the return line for blockage every 500 miles. Now, to get at the root cause of the problem, high operating temps, I have to do some more work:

My car is an 86 and didn't come with a fan for the right front oil cooler, with the modifications that have been done, I don't think the stock cooling system can keep up. I think that adding a fan may be enough to do the trick. If not, I will look to put on a big center mount oil cooler ($$$) in addition to this and if that doesn't solve the problem, there are some other places to look (although I will be fiddling with some of these variables as well over the summer).

Another angle to consider is ignition timing, if it isn't set right the car can run hot. I just put in a programmable MSD, so screwing around with timing is on the agenda anyway.

AFRs (to a lesser degree) are also a concern, do you know where your car stands in this respect? Right now I have my car running on the rich side to be safe (running lean car cause a car to run on the hot side), but I am going to tune this so that it is optimum, along with the ignition, as soon as I get a chance.

Hope this helps, if anyone else has some thoughts, please chime in!
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Bruni,

I seem to have a similar build to you, and I believe I also have a similar problem

I see that your car is also running hot. Mine runs about 8:30 cruising on a cool day, 9:00 if caught in traffic on a cool day, and will easily get up to 10:00+ if it is hot out and I'm in traffic.

This is definitely running WAY hot for a 930 and needs to be dealt with. I also had a previous problem with oil going past the turbo seals (Bruin had PM'd me discussing a similar problem the PO of his car had with turbos), in the end I found out that it wasn't the turbo's fault. The issue was, the car was running so damn hot that the oil would hit the turbo and coke up into little bits. These bits would then get stuck in the scavenge line right before the pump, blocking the return of the oil. The oil would then back up in the turbo and go through the seals causing a huge amount of smoke.

I've solved the first problem by implementing a service regimen that involves checking the return line for blockage every 500 miles. Now, to get at the root cause of the problem, high operating temps, I have to do some more work:

My car is an 86 and didn't come with a fan for the right front oil cooler, with the modifications that have been done, I don't think the stock cooling system can keep up. I think that adding a fan may be enough to do the trick. If not, I will look to put on a big center mount oil cooler ($$$) in addition to this and if that doesn't solve the problem, there are some other places to look (although I will be fiddling with some of these variables as well over the summer).

Another angle to consider is ignition timing, if it isn't set right the car can run hot. I just put in a programmable MSD, so screwing around with timing is on the agenda anyway.

AFRs (to a lesser degree) are also a concern, do you know where your car stands in this respect? Right now I have my car running on the rich side to be safe (running lean car cause a car to run on the hot side), but I am going to tune this so that it is optimum, along with the ignition, as soon as I get a chance.

Hope this helps, if anyone else has some thoughts, please chime in!
Timing...yes, too retarded will heat things up. Do you know for sure that your timing is advancing when the vacuum to the distributor goes away as the throttle opens...and that your mechanical advance is working?

I don't hear (and not sure I ever have heard) my oil cooler fan turn on (will have to check that it's functioning some day). I run about 14.2 AFR at cruise and about 12 degrees more advanced timing than stock, and usually don't get much hotter than 8:00 or maybe 160-170 degrees.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: