Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 mods

is there any way (or reason) to modify 964 exhaust manifolds for use on a 930
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We've done that conversion.
I have this complete setup, if you are interested shoot me an email or call.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The exhaust manfolds from the 89-94 C2&4 911 also known as a 964 dose have an improved cross over section which seems to be the bigger issue with the stock euro/late US 930 headers so there might be some improvement potental.

However, you would have to come up with a custom J pipe.

This to would open up an opertunity to improve another weakness with the 930 system which is the to small tube between the where the two banks are merged to the intersection for the WG. This is mostly what restricts the peak HP potental of the 930 system as that section is not large enought to fully supply both the turbo and WG size tubes.

Having said all that I dought it would be worth the effort.

It is a different story for the 993 headers as Brain pictued above. I belive RUF found that wth there turbo conversion of 964 and 993's that the 993 headers made more power for what was mostly the same conversion. Other's that have gone from the 930 to a custom 993 header set have also reported faster spool times.

I like the 993 conversion and think it is the best turbo option to date for someone that wants near factory reliability on a system with heat.

I mostly would say it is not worth the effort. However you never really know.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

930 mods

thanks for the input guys. i am new to the 930 world and appreciate all input. i recently bought an 85 930 that unfortunately came with all the smog junk and the 3dlz turbo(might have that number wrong). having driven some later model turbo EFI cars i was tragically disappointed with the performance of this car and need to fix it!! obvious turbo and exhaust upgrades need to be done and i don't like to half-ass things so i want to do it right the first time. one thing i have is a brand new HKS 2835R ball bearing turbo. any thoughts? any insight into the performance characteristics of this particular turbo? i do know that it will require some mods to make it work as well as some extra cooling to keep it alive and wonder if it will make enough difference to justify the work. thanks for all the help.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you are talking about making a jump directly to efi, that is a great plan. Just getting that restrictive metering system out of the way can make a significant differance in lag and increases the turbos efficency a bunch. Further, the much better control and accuracy as to timing and fuel is another bump in potental.

The best.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: