Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

I just don't see how I could get my car any higher...need a higher lift jack for one, and then there is the problem of the front valance touching down...I'd like to see how you do it

Meanwhile this sissy wants a scissor lift. It will be the next major tool investment I make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Two floor jacks - lifts are for sissies....

And I don't remove the bumper either - jack it high enough and it'll fit.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
+1,000,000

How many of you "I can do it in an hour" people have a lift? I think I spent 5-6 hours dropping mine for the rebuild...no lift. Getting the car in position high enough was probably 2 hours. I ended up putting the front up on stands too because the valance was touching up front and I wanted the ass up higher but didn't want to damage the valance. Even with the ass up so high, I still had to remove the rear bumper to get the CIS to clear (another half hour to remove the stinkin' bumper).
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
I just don't see how I could get my car any higher...need a higher lift jack for one, and then there is the problem of the front valance touching down...I'd like to see how you do it

Meanwhile this sissy wants a scissor lift. It will be the next major tool investment I make.
It's a sight. I have a splitter on the front and I lift the back-end so high, the splitter touches the floor and the open GT2 rear deck nearly touches the low ceiling in my basement garage.

I lift the back-end up to the point where I can start dropping the motor. Then I take a 2x6x36 and place it under the rear seat area and use another jack to lift the body away from the lowered motor. When I re-install the motor, the only thing NOT attached is the intercooler (although its possible I could leave it on but its easier to connect everything first).

I was kidding about the sissy thing....
Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I've had my engine out only once to rebuild the tranny.
I first put the car up on jack stands on all 4 corners, with the front sitting on 18" tall jack stands & the rear up on 24" stands that were also sitting on 10" blocks of wood.
Took about 20 minutes to get her up and stable. Another 20 minutes to get the intercooler/air cleaner/electrical harness/ fuel lines/ rear mounts, disconnected top side. Then another 30 minutes to get all the bottom side oil lines/tranny cross member/clutch cable/throttle linkage/ shift linkage/heater hoses disconnected......and out she came.
Went back in in reverse, only slightly quicker. Used only a nice single Snap-On floor jack, and a double thickness 3/4"plywood engine support that I cut to size before hand. The plywood support is nothing more than a rectangle shape, that supports on the exhaust & engine case. Really pretty stable, and once you find the balance point it's very controllable.
I do have to admit though, that I have tons of VW bug experience, and can have a bug engine out completely from start to finish in exactly 20 minutes.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 06-04-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Two floor jacks - lifts are for sissies....

And I don't remove the bumper either - jack it high enough and it'll fit.
2 floor jacks!!! And you're calling lift jockeys sissies!
I'm a one jack kinda guy and proud of it

Wooden "adaptor" is shaped to fit the underside of crankcase and is screwed to jack plate.

Front wheels are on 2" timber so that spoiler doesn't get crunched.
Jack car up to full height of jack and place axle stands under TB covers.

Disconnect everything and lower engine all the way down.
I don't have enough clearance to roll the engine out unless I remove bumper so I have one trick up my sleeve ... the axle stands I built have a 1" threaded shaft and nut. I just screw the nut down to lift the car the extra few inches I need to clear the bumper or the valance, if it is fitted.

I use a U-shaped trolley to take the engine from the jack so I can wheel it around easier.

The two key parts to this are the engine adaptor (which fits under the balance point) and the screw-type axle stands.
The time taken getting the engine out is really just limited to how fast you can disconnect everything and drain oil. I have done this many times on my own and it usually takes about 2 hours at a liesurely pace.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: