Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Kudos to those who take out your own motors :)

Having had to take out and put a 930 motor back in for the first time, I have a new found appreciation for folks that manage to do this themselves...

I had the help of a scissor lift, air tools, and a husky friend...it was still quite labor intensive. I keep reading about folks who do it themselves, with jacks, on a garage floor...in 6 hours... I can't imagine that.

By the time you put the motor back in, get all of the wires connected, the vacumn lines, muffler, cv joints, throttle adjusted, clutch adjusted, runs to the hardware store for stripped allen keys etc... a couple weekends have flown by...

So, honestly, how long did it take you to get your motor out, and then back in???

I would estimate 8 hours to get it out, using 2 guys and a scissor lift. Granted, it was my first time... (basically it was 2 days... who has 8 contiguous hours )...

Getting it back in, seems to take longer. 12 hours (2-3 days)? Using 2 people. This included reconnecting everything, refilling all fluids, etc...

How long did it take everyone else??? Is it really plausible to do in a couple hours?

Last edited by bpu699; 06-02-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Like everything, once you've done it a few times and know the ins and outs, the process speeds up somewhat. The first time I did, it took most of a day because I had to figure out how to precariously lift the car high enough to do the trick. And the time it took to label all wires, etc. so as to get them back in the right location, stuff like that which now I don't have to think about.

The hardest part was keeping my cell phone handy with pre-programmed 911, just in case the whole shebang came off the stands and trapped me underneath. Oh, and the time it took to keep my body properly hydrated with my beverage of choice. For me, it's always been a one person job, mostly because my wife gave up her tool box many moons ago.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I pulled mine for the first time by myself using a motorcycle jack in about 4 hours. I don't know how long to put back in but I'd guess around the same. I have worked on cars all my life so maybe I had a head start.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had mine out in about 4 hours with 2 floor jacks and a dolly I made.
Installing took a lot longer with mucking about making everything look pretty.
I had a hard time cramming it out the top though, I've heard some remove it out the bottom. Just kidding. lol
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Don't remember how long it took.
I disconected everything late one afternoon and was going to wait for my bro. to help
me lower it out, but i got impatient and droped it myself.
I used 2 floor jacks but no craddle on the jack so it was a little tippy (couldn't let go of the motor or it would have fallen off the jack)
Had it balanced better when i put it back in (by myself).
Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Speaking from experience, I had to do my motor twice in one weekend.

First time I got it in and the clutch wouldn't work....go digging through boxes of parts and looked at the old one.. HOW SPECIAL...the Porsche pressure plate is a "pull" style versus the other 50 or 60 other clutches i've done where the TOB pushes to release the PP!!! So after spending about 5 hours (by myself with two floorjacks, an ATV jack and lots of BEER) to install the engine..I get to yank it again.

The next day after re-installing the TOB in the proper location...another 4-5 hours and it was back in.

Looking back, I chalk it up to experience...now I can drop/install that motor in a few hours.

87 911 Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
First time? About 6hr to remove and the same to install. Chasing tools and figuring out what to do in what order eats up time.
Now? Not too long ago I had to drop my engine 3 times in a week or so due to various issues. The 3rd time I had it on the ground in less than 2 hours and back in and running in about the same or a little more. I have developed an incredible check list that is specific to my car. Double checking everything now takes the most time.

BTW this is NOT something you want to aspire to! Ha!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Dropped my motor 6 times in the last 2 years. Complete from draining the oil to motor on the floor ready to go on the engine stand is 2 hours max. closer to 90 mins. if I keep at it. First time I dropped my motor 20 years ago took about 4.5 hours with help.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Like most who have done this lots, I can drop in about 90 min, then clean (pressure washer) and have completely apart in 5 hours (total) or so. Putting it back together takes significantly longer, but I do all of it by myself. This last time was one of the first times I put it all together, set the timing and it started right up without any leaks, knocks, noises, backfires or smoke. In fact, I started it then took it right out and went for a drive.

Last edited by DonE; 06-02-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The first time took me all day too, and getting it back in was no better. I now have it down to about 2 hours out, 4-5 hours to get it back in to a running engine. There are so many things to reconnect and double check! The worst part for me is jacking it up and down,( I don't have a lift.) So I consider it a small miracle when the car is running again and I haven't been crushed to death.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
1 hr 40 mins to drop including draining the oil. I'd say 3 hrs to put it back. I'm a bit more cautious putting it back in. Always forget something.. Making sure you don't strip out the front tranny mounting bolts is always a PIA..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
<-----------------------feels like less of a man reading this post

d'oh

I too consider it some sort of bizarre rite of passage - a rite that I have no RITE in trusting to my guaranteed Fecal Touch (opposite of Midas). Every thing I touch, somedaze it seems.........

Biggest challenge would be time in dedicating to getting it done and not having too many lapses between opp's to sneak out to keep on it. Oy.

Someday, maybe I'll reach down and find the Huevos Grandes to endeavor...

until then, humbled

ps. "So I consider it a small miracle when the car is running again and I haven't been crushed to death." bwhahahahahaa David - exactly.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-03-2010, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic930 View Post
The worst part for me is jacking it up and down,( I don't have a lift.)
+1,000,000

How many of you "I can do it in an hour" people have a lift? I think I spent 5-6 hours dropping mine for the rebuild...no lift. Getting the car in position high enough was probably 2 hours. I ended up putting the front up on stands too because the valance was touching up front and I wanted the ass up higher but didn't want to damage the valance. Even with the ass up so high, I still had to remove the rear bumper to get the CIS to clear (another half hour to remove the stinkin' bumper).
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Excellent point Jacob. Without a lift it would take me much longer. I remove the rear valance and that is all. The lift does poise one problem, it only goes up and down. The angle of attack needed to mate the tranny tube must be done with jacks. I use 2, a motorcycle jack for the engine and a small aluminum jack for the tranny. That is BY FAR the biggest time consumer for the way I do it. Many times I thought about cutting a hole in the tranny tube ...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Jacob,, not me dude.. only two floor jacks.. however I have learned to trick of taking the bumper off first.. I hate that part!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Two hours, I have one of those super high lift floor jacks they sell on here. I pull the back bumper off every time make intallation much faster. about the same going back in unless i have trouble getting the motor mount holes to line up. that can easily double the install time.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

2-3 hours to remove, but more time to install. Always have something I'm adding, working on, etc.

I do my mine with a single floor jack, but use a piece of plywood with carpet to spread the load. Then lower it on my homemade dolly.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
2-3 hours to remove, but more time to install. Always have something I'm adding, working on, etc.

I do my mine with a single floor jack, but use a piece of plywood with carpet to spread the load. Then lower it on my homemade dolly.

That's slick and I'll remember this so next time I'll make one like it and keep it in storage. I have a lift but to do engine drops I don't use it. I don't think there's enough space between the runners to fit the engine so I still do it on the ground. I bought the lift for 99% storage and most of the other work. Engine drops are done old school... To be on topic the last time was on a '85 911 I spent a couple hours unhooking everything and it was out in another couple hours the next day with some friends. Installation was about the same.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Two floor jacks - lifts are for sissies....

And I don't remove the bumper either - jack it high enough and it'll fit.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I have it down to a science and designed it so that i can take everything out in one piece, removing shift bar, cv bolts, starter wires, 2 fuel line fittings, electrical connectors and ground strap, one motor mount bolt, 4 transmission mount bolts, 4 t-bolt clamps that hold the silicon hoses and 2 oil line fittings and breather hose.
I use a lift table, takes me about an hour out and about an hour and a half in, but thats because it's a 914, still i think the lift table is the best way to go with either car.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400

Last edited by iamchappy; 06-03-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: