Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Non User

Garage
Old school suspension gurus needed!!!

Just got my car back from getting an alignment (TruSpeed - good bunch of guys). They told me that my front struts were purposefully bent (by PO) in order to lower the car. They said this was a technique that was done regularly back in the day. Bending helped keep some of the adjustment ability to fine tune, rather than maxing out adjustments. Haven't measured specifically, but my car is not terribly low, seems be at or a touch lower than euro height.

Anyone ever hear of this method before, and can you expand on the theory???

TIA
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you sure then said the 'strut'.

It is very typical to decamber the axle relative to the strut.

I just can not see bending the 'strut' its self anywhere along the axis of its movement.

Some bent the steering arm when the axle was raised on the strut to improve bump steer and or camber. Some lengthened the A arm for more camber.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Yes, they said strut - the only thing i can think of is that the portion that attaches to the tie rod end is bent "up"??? But why would that help in lowering... i'm at a loss.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

they probably meant the spindles are bent up some to give more negative camber. potholes and curbs will do that too.

if the strut tube was bent the shock insert would bind and fail.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post

...Some bent the steering arm when the axle was raised on the strut to improve bump steer...
It also quickens the steering ratio.

What size type rims do you have and how far is it from the bottom of the ball joint to the inner rim. This might tell us if your axel has been rased on the strut.

Last edited by 911st; 06-06-2010 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've heard of shops bending the strut to to correct the camber when no more was available or there ws no adjustment. Been a long time though.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: