Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.73 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
No, that would be me!!!

Since you've verified that you're getting fuel, and that the CDI box whines when it is supposed to, the next thing you might consider doing is disconnecting one of the spark plug leads, putting a spare spark plug in it (ground the plug against some nearby metal) and engage the starter to see if you have spark. If not, it could be that one of the coil wires is not connected, the green CDI-to-distributor wire is disconnected or damaged, or the coil itself is bad.
Yes, I need to do the spark test, have not been able to do that yet. I verified the coil to distrib wire is tight at both ends, it did notice that the two leads coming from the CDI unit are somewhat aged with some bare wire showing which needs to be fixed.

Are the any multi-meter tests I can do on those two leads to verify good back to the CDI unit?

The car ran beautifully before I started work, which is why I've avoided replacing ignition components yet, other than the plugs. I have a new harness, cap, rotor, and blaster II coil but I really think its something simple/stupid and that replacing parts is just shooting in the dark.

Just reread your post Ronnie, the green wire I thought was an RPM sensor on the dizzy, I did replace the fan housing strap and I know it was super tight in there, I will verify that isn't damaged somehow.

Thanks

Last edited by flightlead404; 09-20-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Another data point

Something else just occurred to me while researching this. When I acquired the car the tach needle would jump around, as I drove it now and again for a few months that jumping around got worse, sometimes the needle would even totally die or peg.

At the same time I had headlights that would dim and brighten with engine RPM, which is why I replaced the alternator (went with one of the 160 amp units). I thought that a bad VR would cause those tach issues. The engine did not miss or have any rough running or power issues when the tach was misbehaving.

Is it possible that it wasn't alternator at all? That something else was failing that might now have completely failed and be preventing spark?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

It's better for everyone to start their own thread for their issues and just leave this one for instructions on how to trouble shoot or for reference.

A jumping tach would indicate a charging problem.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Also check to make sure the PO didn't use cheap ass no good crimp connectors to join critical wires together.

Solder and heat shrink.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Hi Bill, great thread can you please send the pdf to me via paul.nixon@mammoet.com
I'm having some issues, and thought I would go back to basics and check everything, my car was running great in all conditions hot cold in traffic under boosts etc then one morning it didn't want to start after spluttering into life I thought I would give some of your checks ago, it's an 86 3.3 coupe USA spec from Japan with all of the air injection removed.
Firstly my over boost is open circuit and not closed.
The yellow relay can be in our out and no difference.
The air flow switch is normally closed but does not open when I activate the air flow plate
Yet the pumps run from the ignition and I cannot find any evidence of a jumper.
Any thoughts paul.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
79 930

Garage
Hot start problem

Great thread - curious why hot starts were not mentioned specifically - last time I drove the car -pit ran great . After about an hour I stopped for coffee. 20 min later car wouldn't start. 30 minutes later - car fired up and ran great.

I was under the impression from all posts that it could be accumulator or WUR.

Over boost is grounded and there is no over boost relay in car. Car was highly modified by OO
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Me like track days

MZ3 - what did yours turn out to be? having the SAME problem! See my post from this morning
Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Me like track days

Reviving a 930 - fuel delivery after warm shutdown and then startup - whats up?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

very impressive thread, would be appreciated if could have more updates like heavy car is better or not...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

This has been really helpful, thanks a lot guys
Old 12-28-2016, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
CDI ( Brain Box )
Photo ( before ) recent Pelican refurbish.
Plugg and play one 6 pin connection
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: