Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.73 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Common answers to why "My car doesn't start or it's running poorly...."

I thought I would write up the common items to check when our cars won't start or run well. If everyone could copy, paste and edit my start, we could have a good start to a Sticky that new and old owners alike could check or if you have a better idea, go with it.

Adding explenations, links and pictures would be great to show or explain further.

When done, we can get the mods to sticky it to the top.

What do you guys think?

A car that wonít start or doesn't run well can be broken down into two components usually, ignition and air/fuel. Check the following: In no particular order.

Coil Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Cap- Look for cracks, arcing, etc. Clean contacts with small file.
Plugs - If in doubt, install new ones.
Plug wires Check resistance and loose connections.
CDI (located at left rear corner of engine bay) 6-pin SC/Turbo CDI unit repair documentation
Overboost relay (yellow relay at left rear corner of engine bay)
Overboost sending unit and wires (located on BOV)
Delayed cutoff relay (located next to CDI) If this is bad, the car will not start/run.
Speed sensor (under the driverís seat)
Rev limiter relay (under the driverís seat) (same thing as above?)
Dizzy - Use a spare spark plug grounded to test for spark. Never ground bare wire or CDI damage might occur.
Dizzy to CDI coax wire Ages over time. Check connectors and wires with multi-meter.
Battery Verify battery is being charged with multi-meter and do a load test.
Battery connections Clean and tighten.
Grounds Check ground at battery and trans to body. Also, there are many other small grounds for various circuits. Check wiring diagram.
Alternator Verify output at battery.
Starter connections The alternator runs through the starter. Verify the connections are clean and tight. There is also a wire that powers the cold start valve during start up. Verify it's clean and tight. When R&Ring the engine, don't forget to hook up the Pos wire to the starter.
Fuel pump fuse (Try the Lee Rice electrical upgrade: Pelican Technical Article: Technical & Safety )
Fuel pump relays (Two rear most red relays above fuses in fron trunk. Check and clean connections)
Fuel pumps Should run for a second when key is turned on, but some continue to run.
Fuel filter (replace as needed) Located at left front of engine bay next to FA. Bare aluminumin in color.
Fuel accumulator Located at left front of engine bay next to fuel filter. Flat green in color.
Metering plate switch Located on back of metering plate. Has a green/blue plug end.
Warm up regulator
Leaking fuel injector(s) Can cause leak down of fuel pressure and flood cylinder, making it hard to start.
Air leak(s) - Check for loose intake manifold nuts, bulging 0-rings, etc. at throttle body, intercooler, turbo, etc. Spray FLAMMABLE brake or carb cleaner on all joints. If RPMs increase, that might be your leak. BTW, it's FLAMMABLE. Use COMMON SENSE AND CAUTION.
Voltage regulator Check voltage at battery.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-28-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
How about starter won't activate when hot, starts just fine when cold: worn out starter. And rebuilt Bosche starters are iffy, go new.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I was just thinking this same thing yesterday.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Because the POS magnacore coil wire doesnt fit on the new msd coil and came unplugged.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The little yellow wire that now has a spade connection to fit the new starter has come loose.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think you've captured them all. Now all we have to do is resurface threads specific to diagnosing and repairing each of the individual points you've identified. That's where the work begins.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Well, let's all pitch in and add the links. EVERYBODY will need it sooner or later.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
elvision930

Garage
Hello. I have been quietly reading most of these latest threads and I quite like this one.

Being a newbie here. And a relatively new Porsche owner, I am so green behind the ears when it comes to understanding most of this stuff. But I am very interested in learning.

The idea of putting together a "sticky" for common non start problems is a great idea.

I'd like to offer:

If you guys finish gathering the list, getting pictures and drawing up procedural information, I could help by taking this information and designing a pdf type brochure document that could be easily accessible for all of us. A digital reference guide.

Having a graphic design background may be of some help here. Make things look nice and tidy and Hmmmm pretty.

Well anyway.... food for thought.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location of various parts.

Fuel filter and fuel accumulator

Overboost relay

Metering plate switch

Alternator connections

The ivory colored sensor on the left is the overboost sensor and the one on the right with the red cover on it is the factory boost gauge sending unit.

Two fuel pump relays and fuel pump fuse

Idle adjustment screw

Air fuel adjustment screw

Last edited by A930Rocket; 06-10-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

This is a good post to have up top as a reference.

..so, things should be accurate i would think.

In this pic the sensors are labeled wrong.

The ivory colored sensor on the left is the overboost sensor and the one on the right with the red cover on it is the factory boost gauge sending unit.

Not all of them or maybe it's just the replacement ones don't have the red cover on them and they are gold cad plated until it corrodes off and turns grey.

I'll delete this post if the origonal is corrected.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here are a few more picts. Nothing special. I have a bunch taken when last the engine was out, of all parts and their location, with circles and arrows in 8x10 glossy (kind of like the Alice's Restaurant song for us old gummers), but damned if I can find them all right now. Will post more if/when I find them.

JUMPING AROUND THE YELLOW RELAY

STOCK LOCATION OF OVERBOOST SENSOR/SWITCH

BUSS FUSE REPLACING STOCK FUEL PUMP FUSE
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

These are brilliant!!!.....labeled photos are an excellent way of showing numpty Porsche owners such as myself where to find stuff.
If we're doing requests i'd love to know where the rear fuel pump is hidden on my euro spec 88 930???? I found the front one no problem but the rear one is a mystery to me????
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

I think this is a great idea, ya got my vote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

FUEL ACCUMULATOR TESTING (as posted by Brian@RarlyL8)
"The 930 accumulator has a port on the bottom that is hooked to the recycle fuel line. When the diaphragm in the accumulator fails fuel will pool in the bottom. Remove this line and see if there is any fuel there".
Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
elvision930

Garage
I really like this idea too.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
elvision930

Garage
MARK. In another thread.... "Engine Miss, Loss of Power???" you try to give "spoke" advice on "jumping the yellow relay" just to get the fuel pumps working in order to get a stranded newbie like myself going. You also have a pick here with which I assume is two red jumper wires in place of the yellow relay.

Could you explain in layman's detail how you do this? Where do the wires go? You also mention a "white wire or ground??"

I could of used this this past Wednesday when my car left me stranded. The car wanted to turn over.... but the pumps were silent. Luckily I was a block from a mechanic buddy and he got me going. Of course he was silent about how he got me going. He said he had a "cheat" way of doing it.

I am assuming this is the way.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Jim,

I corrected my picture if you want to delete yours.

Can't believe i don't have a picture of a CDI!

Jim

Last edited by A930Rocket; 06-10-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rear fuel pump over sway bar mount.

Correct position of clutch helper spring [a popular request ]
Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

BOV assembly and parts.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Oil pressure switch located at right rear of engine, under fuel head (with aftermarket line)

Checking fuel pump delivery.

Air injection plugs.

Starter wires.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: