Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Shifter woes and front strut suggestions

Hello Guys I just bought my first 930, a 1981 with 55k miles. The car is stock with the exception of B&B headers, a dual exit muffler and a K27 turbo. Two questions for you all. First, the previous owner installed a weltmeister short shift kit and it's a mess. The shifter was real sloppy and I had no problem miss shifting . I removed the shifter and rear coupler cover to check the bushings. Those appear to me OK, but I'll change them anyway. I was surprised to find no
spring mechanism in the shifter assembly or a reverse lock-out tab like in a 915 shifter. (I have a '76 carrera 3.0 set up as a track car). What keeps you out of reverse when shifting?? What is the best way of updating this issue?

Next the front Bilsteins are shot and I assume that back are as well. Should I go back with the stock Bilsteins or the sport shocks/inserts.

Thank s to all who answer.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

There should be a spring in the shifter housing for reverse IIRC. All the Weltsheister kit does is change the fulcrum point with a revised shift lever and a spacer. Re-check all the bushings and replace as needed. Heck, you're in there, replace them for a few bucks along with the u-joint bushings in the rear tunnel.

A big improvement would be a WEVO or Hargett shifter, but more $.

Bilstein sports if your going to track it. Are you keeping the stock torsion bars?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine had the Weltmeister short shifter when I got the car. It was pretty good then but there was a little slop and room for improvement.

Somone had already brazed the longer Weltmeister bottom section on to the origonal steel shifter rod and thats a solid improvement over JB weld epoxy glue the kit mentions using for that.

I replaced the ball joint plastic bushing that goes at the bottom of the shifter and the shift rod plastic bushing and snugged up the origonal shifter pivot nut and greased it all real good.

Then I made my own rubber bushings for the rear coupler out of AC barrier hose that fit real sug and makes it much tighter than a stock one. They work great and the stock coupler bushings have for/aft unneccesary and unpleasent clearance built in.

After that the weltmeister short shifter is tight and feel great. If the rear coupler is adjusted correctly the transmissions spring loaded detent balls makes it difficult to select reverse by mistake.
I have to push the shift knob to the left pretty firmly and then forward to get it into reverse. It would never go into reverse by mistake on my car.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Rocket man, I looked in the factory manual for the 930 shifter and I see no spring for the reverse lock out...there's no tab or anything to stop the shifter from going into reverse.

I see in the diagram for the wevo shifter that it does include springs to center the shifter in one of the two planes 1 and 2 or 3 and 4th.

As far as the torsion bars, I'm keeping the stock ones..So I guess the stock Bilsteins as well.

Have you taken apart your shifter before? Did yours have any sort of lock-out on it?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks AF airman. The weltmeister spacer was under the shifter on this car, but the shifter rod/ lever looks standard. There is nothing welded or epoxyed on the bottom of the lever. I see where in the pelican catalog that the new welmesiter kit comes with a new shift lever/rod.
I would like to know if my shift lever is the stock one or the welmeister one. Anyone have one part now that could give me a measurement?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My weltmeister came with a one piece modded rod. I believe it's longer from the pivot pin to the ball because of the spacer. For my 87, I had to use an aftermarket shift knob.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Do you stiil have your old shift lever? Anyway to give me a measurement from the center of the shift pivot pin to the bottom of the ball? I think the former owner may have mixed up his parts...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Maybe yours has a one piece shift rod thats longer from the pivot down.
There's no reason for the spacer without a longer section below the pivot and the long horizontal linkage rod could possibly rub something in the tunnel if the front part was raised up the amount of the thickness of the spacer under the shift tower.

I also heated the bend in the upper shift rod red hot and bent it back about an inch so the shift knob would be closer to me and I wouldn't have to lean forward a tiny amount to shift into 3rd.
It's more comfortable for me that way.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Jim's right. You can't have the old shift rod w/ the spacer. If I can find the stock or weltmeister, I'll measure it for grins. I bent mine back and to the left as well since my seat was so far back. I'm using a Hargett now.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
There is no spring in the shifter housing for sure... but in the tranny

It's almost impossible to get into reverse by mistake:

1st: You have to overcome the spring in the tranny

2nd: If engine runs higher than idle, you have to pull strongly in cause of the non synchronized gears

3rd: The reverse is not straight in front, but quite left of the 1st gear

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I see in the diagram for the wevo shifter that it does include springs to center the shifter in one of the two planes 1 and 2 or 3 and 4th.

The Wevo centers the shifter in the 1/2 plane. A vast improvement over stock.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Turbo 4-speed no spring for sure, non-turbo 5-speed could be, but NOT turbos

We are talking about the stock shifter with short-shift kit, not a complete shifter...)

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list

Last edited by proffighter; 06-10-2010 at 07:57 AM..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OK guys..it appears that I have a Weltmeister short ****er rod/shifter with the spacer. There was so much slop in the shifter, I thought for sure it would be worn out bushings...but they don't appear to be super-worn, butI'm changing the front two and will install a wevo type connector in the rear anyway.....The prices that I am getting for a used factory shifter assemply are 1/2 of the wevo 930 kit..so I am considering the WEVO shifter. Any of you have any experience with that shifter..
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Never used one, but reports say it's good.

Replace that cup bushing up front as well. Maybe with urethane.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have 3. One in the turbo, one in the race car, and one in the VW Crewcab. A vast improvement.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Alright, I ordered my WEVO Classic 930 shifter today (and the coupler)...Thanks guys..

Hey what about the struts and shocks?

Any ideas on whay set up is best?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The rear shocks and front strut inserts are personal preference, there is no best without knowing how you plan to use the car.

I like Bilstein sports because they are firm and handle great. They are good street and occasional track use shock absorbers.

If you have bumpy roads and soft core women ride in the car frequently with you then you might prefer the smoother but still well controlled ride of the Bilstein heavy duty shocks. Thats what the origonal green ones are.

Koni's are good too and they are adjustable.
I've had both and I prefer the Bilsteins ride and they look better made to me.

I have Bilstein sports in the rear and Bilstein RSR valved inserts in the front. The RSR inserts are made for track use and stiffer than the sports. They were in the car when I bought it and they are stiffer than I like for the street but they are very nice on the track.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I had my stock shocks re valved by Smart Racing to their street set up. An improvement over the heavy duty shocks and not a bunch of money. Not as stiff as the sport shock. If you plan on tracking the car as well as driving it on the street I would look at an adjustable shock.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: