Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

What would you value this car?

I found a 84 Carrera with a 930 engine. Price is cheap. Paint is old. Suspension needs help. Motor seems healthy. Supposedly rebuilt 915.

I am helping a friend shop. He is looking to upgrade his BMW 3-series track car. I told him this would be a huge upgrade. Plus he would let me take it out.

I think it would be great in my driveway but I do not have the cash. And... my wife would not allow another car.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts

Last edited by jpnovak; 06-09-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

real cheap.

how can anyone value a car or any material object with only a short description and not even a picture?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
I found a 84 Carrera with a 930 engine. Price is cheap. Paint is old. Suspension needs help. Motor seems healthy. Supposedly rebuilt 915.

I am helping a friend shop. He is looking to upgrade his BMW 3-series track car. I told him this would be a huge upgrade. Plus he would let me take it out.

I think it would be great in my driveway but I do not have the cash. And... my wife would not allow another car.
See bold above. Do your homework or run away... +1 on JFairman comment.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have done my homework. I know what repairs are necessary as well as the time and cost of parts. I have rebuilt or restored several 911s. What market data is not there is a narrow-body car with a 930 engine swap.

Let's rephrase the question.

What is the potential value of an 84 carrera with a 79 3.3l 930 engine?

Its just a car that needs love. Driver condition but not a rat. Would clean up with some elbow grease.

Yes, it is really cheap. Cheaper than most problematic SC or Carrera will sell for. I could easily part and make a decent amount of money but would rather have fun and drive it.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I HATE posting this, but 'cheap' is 5k to one person and 10k to someone else. You really need to post more info for a more accurate value. The more people see it the more accurate it'll be. If it's truly 'really cheap' (to you or your friend) then why post, just buy it and fix it up and sell it for a profit or keep it for fun for many years.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Jamie-

I'll take a stab at it. The motor is unique, a little more power but a 5 year backdate none the less. The car doesn't sound all that great, I assume high miles.

Very few used Porsches are terribly desirable after they go over 100K miles. I would be hard pressed to give $1K over a stock high miles '84. Most of these cars are worth more parted than sold complete.

Most 930 motors either just had a costly rebuild or need a costly rebuild. Having one in that car makes it interesting but not desirable to those who know these cars and set value. Same goes for the trans, either just had or needs a rebuild.

I like the stock 3.2L motor, but the rest of the package is a turd. $8K -9K in today's market. Sorry
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:

What kind of a budget does your friend have and what kind of an upgrade is he looking at? Is he driving an E30, E36 or E46 race car? We all love our Porsches and like to share our enthusiasm with others, but please sit down with your friend and discuss operating costs and availability of spares.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Buy the car, keep the driveline. I'll buy the roller.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Infidel

Do you have any idea what power it's at? How long will the 915 box last on a track car with a turbo engine?
It makes for an interesting project, you could make it look like a CTR, narrow body etc. If you are happy to sort the suspension, and it needs a tidy up anyway.....
It would depend how healthy the engine is, and if the gearbox is up to the job.

Maybe factor in fitting a G50, if you are doing suspension anyway then throw some coil overs in the rear etc.
Sounds like a fun car, is your friend up for a project, or does he want to just get in and drive?
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
A 930 engine in good condition could go for $7K and a roller 911 for maybe $3K, so $10K would about right. You could easily spend $10K making it right though, so the question is what could you get for $20K.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the response. My friend has an E36 track car. Not an M but he has fun flogging it around at speed. He finds it very easy to drive fast - as does anyone who has had seat time in one of these cars. He has been looking for a 911 for about 2 years and this car was interesting enough to take notice. He is a very competent person and will have no problems wrenching himself. He is just not as familiar with the marque.

The 911 in question is less than $10K. The owner knows ZERO about these cars. The motor is extremely dry yet not currently running due to ignition problems. It needs a cap/rotor and new "green" wire. No high-dollar fix here. I have not done compression and leak down yet. If my friend decides to go forward we will do a full inspection. I will do this PPI myself and feel confident that I can find as much or more than a shop would.

At this point the motor is stock and the 915 should hold. The car will likely get an EFI conversion and turbo swap to lessen the drivetrain shock on transition to full boost. This will also make driving easier.

The suspension is fine but needs new bushings at all 4 corners. I can install plastic for about $100 and a days labor. yes, plastic works fine if you take a bit of time to fit correctly. They also fit the budget.

The car would likely be stripped for a roll bar, track seats and harness. Interior condition is not a concern.

Eventual goal would be to install a RUF or RSR style bumper to smooth out the look and drop a few pounds.

If I go see the car I will take some pictures and post for reference.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

A 915 may be able to handle a stock 930, but with EFI and turbo swap I don't think it'll hold up. You'll then need to look for a new tranny and I would say to get a G50, but that will be very costly. It's a slippery slope!
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

3 restos WIP = psycho

If you read on the turbo forum, there are lots of guys w/ 400HP turbos that use a 915. If a car is to be tracked, it can be a problem. For a street car, it would take a long time to blow it up, which usually shows up as a sheared 3rd gear.

There are better 915 cases, R&Ps and myriad aftermarket upgrades that can extend the life of a 915. Considering what a core G50 costs these days, as well as the cost of conversion parts, it is still cheaper to built a 'tits' 915 and rebuild it occasionally than do a G50.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yeah, and I am running a near 300Hp on my 901. I am not worried about the 915 in front of a 930 motor. Its all in how you use it. Finesse is Key!

Kenik has it right. I could rebuild several times before the G50 becomes cost effective. Yes, a concern. Big concern? not to me.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Yeah, and I am running a near 300Hp on my 901. I am not worried about the 915 in front of a 930 motor. Its all in how you use it. Finesse is Key!

Kenik has it right. I could rebuild several times before the G50 becomes cost effective. Yes, a concern. Big concern? not to me.
Like Brooke's 2.8SS w/ a 901, it works well! Treat 1st gear like a bird in your hand and don't shift like an ape in the rest and you are fine. The only big concern is spalling of the 7:31 diff, but it sounds like that issue has recently been solved.

Jamie, where did you see that info? I can't find it.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Well, My friend is buying the car. Price point just over midway between 5k and 10K. I will not disclose the actual price but you should be able to guess pretty close.

Now the fun begins. First thing is to sort the ignition so we have a baseline for tuning.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I did a swap back in the 90's (3.3 Turbo with lots of goodies) with my SC Targa.. Top end rebuild engine and rebuilt the 915. Its a blast to drive and a sleeper. If u want hardcore and lightweight, this is for u. With the right set-up the car will be no joke.There are very few cars that will come close as to HP- to weight ratio......Expect to $$$$. I did...But it will last a life time, god willing

Walt

Last edited by wjfk32; 06-11-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Funny, the car in question is Ruby Red Metallic and has color-coded Fuchs as well. Of course, they are 7/8 on this Carrera.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
911 w/930mtr

Hello everyone,

I'm the guy that bought the car.

First point of business. Thank you Jamie for answering all my questions and your patience for my ignorance with this car. I look forward to getting this car squared away with you, Morrie, and any of the other great Porsche guys I met over the years on our drives as I followed in my 64 vette.

I am very excited about acquiring this car and thankful that was able to. I have been looking at 911's for a little while and test drove one not too far from here. It was just not in the cards at the time. A good friend let me drive his 912 and I was impressed at how it well it handled for a an old car and how quickly it accelerated.

I have always been around cars, mostly Chevys. My Dad restores them as a hobby, mostly focusing on the triple 5's with some 60's muscle thrown in there. He is a "purists", so you can rest assured there were no losses of a classic car to customization. I however have strayed a little from that path. I have one (64 vette roadster) that I will restore to "correct for the period" and "correct" trim and all the rest are for fun, this car falling into the latter.

I am currently attempting to track an e36 (325is). My purpose for the bimmer is to work on my car handling skills and become a better driver in order to move up to the next level of car. I really enjoy finding the limits of a car and even more my limits.

Okay, now for the car.

I came across the car in an ad and made arrangements to look at it. Upon visiting with the seller, it was very appearent that he did not have much experience with this car. So, as with any "deal" the responsibility is now solely on my shoulders to get as much information on the car both from inspection and what little the owner knows.
The PO's story about the mechanical history is well...confusing. So, I leaned on Jamie (OP) for help. Jamie walked me through on the phone what to look at and offered advice. So far, he is batting 100. A great guy and great resource! I made a couple visits to look at the car. On the last visit, I asked to put the well worn rotor in the car to see if it runs and how it runs. Mostly wanted to hear any noises. After some coaxing it started and ran with what would seem like a miss and a cycling "pssst" noise.
After talking with my friends and surfing the web, I decided to make an offer. Shortly later we had a deal.

I haven't gotten totally into or under the car yet, I've been working to get two cars in the garage. Here's where I'm at so far.

This thing is like a time capsule right out of the 80's with a phone on the floor, a yamaha cassette head unit (high end at the time), massive yamaha amp in the front trunk, and MTX speaker boxes in the rear. The best thing, there's a cassette in the head unit and what is it? Van Halen 1984! So funny...

I have majority of the early paperwork. I even got the original window sticker. The car is accessorized well and everything seems to work, even the sunroof. The a/c was serviced to the tune of $1600 in 2005. The interior is not bad. The upper dash is shot. The lower knee pad appears to be in good shape. The seats are in good condition with exception of the driver's seat. The 915 tranny was recently rebuilt (I need to ask the PO the name of the shop again...) and claims he got a head bolt recently repaired. The "green wire" is bare a one point, no insulation and there are some wires that are not connected. As my friend Jamie pointed out not a real concern due the conversion.

The car has been repainted, but I don't see any evidence of a hit. I don't see any corrosion. All the soft suspension bushings need replaced and possibly the front struts, but the rears are bilsteins and appear to be near new.

All the glass appears to be original, with exception with the front windshield and I wouldn't have known that if it weren't for the paperwork. It matches all the other glass.

The plan is to convert to EFI. I think I want to put a g50 trans in I really like the way they shift. Upgrade the suspension and seats. I'll probably change out the turbo for a k27 unit, upgrade the exhaust, and lighting. I would like to put a 4 point roll bar in with harnesses for the track and a few other things. I would like to keep this car streetable and managable that also means keeping a/c and a stereo.

Anyways, sorry for the long thread. I am very excited to get into this car, but I still need to tend to my bimmer for track days.

That's all for now. Thanks again Jamie for your help in this acquisition!

John
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Since my friend started another post I thought I would link some pictures of the car in question.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: