Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help with a project?

Hey guys,
Ive asked around and pelicans have been said to be the most knowledgeable about Porsche projects. Im looking for a 930. I dont mind which year....but basically im looking for a project, and had every intention of redoing the interior. Im pretty knowledgeable about cars. Is there anyway you guys could point me in the right direction?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Where are you ?? What are your intentions ? race ? concourse ?? Daily driver ? It's true we are god's gift to turbo projects here hahaha
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Total daily driver. I want it to be fast. I have some other wants but those are mostly cosmetical i spose
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you're in the south like me and you want good AC air flow and you don't want ugly aftermarket underdash AC vents then you may want to narrow it down to only the '86-'89 cars because the upper dash is made of a better upper dash vinyl/plastic that doesn't swell up around the larger center AC duct when parked in the sun over time and they have large aimable side AC vents that are non exsistant on '76-'85 cars.

If AC doesn't matter then they're all pretty much the same, just find a good one you like.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Welcome!
Now is THE time to buy!
Get the most well cared for (mechanically) car you can afford as these things will eat a hole in your wallet faster than BP is getting billed.
The 930 responds very well to modifications. You'll have to decide how far you wish to go as the limit is pretty high. There are specific money/power plateaus that we all can discuss, the biggest being if/when you cross that magic 400WHP line into EFI land.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
+1 on the welcome and also not all turbos are the same.

Do some homework and figure out what year you would prefer as they did change somewhat over the years and also differ depending on what part of the world they were made for.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Check this car out: 1979 Porsche 930

Its ready to go with a completely refreshed motor (and tons more in the car). Drive daily or kick some arse in a DE.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help so far guys. Heres the deal, Im going to rearrange the dash totally. The exact year i was looking for was a 1986 930. If i could find one that already came with the widebody it would be a plus!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The 930 Porsche IS the widebody.

No offense but you may want to do some research on the car you want to build.

A turbo Porsche is not one I would recommend for a first time project car.

As "Todd" stated, defining your intentions and parameters($$$$$$$$$$$$) would be helpful in figuring out which car would be a good buy.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2010, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post

As "Todd" stated, defining your intentions and parameters($$$$$$$$$$$$) would be helpful in figuring out which car would be a good buy.
Dude, ive seen them without widebodys
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumball513 View Post
What do you mean? The 930/Turbo is the widebody version of the 911 - coupe, cabriolet, targa; all were widebodies if they were 930s/911 Turbos. . .
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumball513 View Post
Not from the factory.

I can appreciate your desire to build a fast street car and wish you luck with the project.

Take pics along the way so we can follow your progress.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Gumball513,
Welcome and no offense meant by my next statement, but you just might want to do a little more research, as your facts are not ringing true.
1.) 930's are all wide bodies.
2.) A '86 is the same as any other 80's 930 with VERY minor detail changes.
3.) An '89 has the g50 5spd tranny, this sets this year apart.
4.) The late 70's 930's have a smaller displacement engine (I do not know exactly when they went to 3.3L '78? '79?).
5.) "76 and ? did not have an intercooler.

See what I mean....there is more to this picture than you might think.

All that you need to know is on this forum, or in any one of many well written Porsche book.

Find exactly what you are looking for, then go after it! These things are stupid fun.
Mark
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

78 and 79 are 3.3 and the first years with an intercooler
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post

Im sorry, i went back and looked at the car in question and it was a custom xD sorry
Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: