Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What kind of muffler is this?

Good Evening fellow enthusiasts,

I bought this muffler ages ago to use on an aircooled-vw project but I have come to realize it 'ain't gonna fit'. So, now I am going to try to sell this, but i'm not 100% on what brand it is. It looks very similar to a GHL, but I don't see any of those little GHL tags that you find tacked onto most GHL mufflers. Maybe somebody can help me identify this if not take it off my hands. Thank you for your help.
Dennis

~I have more pictures if interested, just let me know

Last edited by TunedBoost; 06-10-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The one 930 GHL muffler I've seen was flat or flush on the ends and that one is recessed on the one end thats pictured like a B&B single out muffler.

The inside of B&B and GHL are totally different. A friend has a GHL single out and I have a B&B single out so I've seen and heard the difference.

In my opinion the B&B is made alot better than the GHL.
The B&B has about a 1 inch thickness of fiberglass or something similar packing around the entire inside perimeter held in place by thick perforated steel mesh along with some perforated steel V shaped baffles on the inside next to the the inlet and outlet pipes and a 3" cross over pipe down at the far end that goes through a sheet metal seperator that goes horizontally the entire inside length to seperate the top inlet pipes flow from the bottom exit pipes flow.
It's hard for me to describe what I see when looking inside of them with a flashlight.

The GHL has no sound aborbtion packing. It's a big tinny sounding stainless steel can with some baffles and in one area the exhaust has to flow through a necked down 2" restriction.
Anothwords the GHL looks nice but it's a piece of junk on the inside.

The B&B is heavier and because of the sound absorbtion packing you can gut it of all the baffles and the packing around the inside diameter will still absorb alot of the high frequency exhaust noise while the GHL does not.

Everybody likes something different though so thats just my butthole opinion.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

+1 b&b
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input guys, it's always nice to know I can come here for Porsche help. If anybody wants to buy this muffler, I will be more than happy to take offers. It was put on a 930 once for about 1 minute (allegedly) and taken off, as the owner didn't approve of it. There is no sign of exhaust residue inside the muffler so I would assume it was run only momentarily. No dings or major scratches (a couple very very minor scratches from being moved around the shop every now and then).
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: