Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

fuel pumps not firing

Engine has been reinstalled, turns over and seems ready to bite but the fuel pumps are not running with the cranking of the starter.... Can get them running individually by using my test relay(one with cover removed) but they won't respond to the meter plate being depressed and ignition 'on' either. Now I'm getting depressed... What am I missing here??? Think I'll sleep on it. So close... Thanks! Tom
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Is the plug connected to the back of the throttle body assy?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
Is the plug connected to the back of the throttle body assy?
It's the reverse of what you would think....unplug the thing and the pumps will run continuously with the key on (that is, if you're referring to the green - or is it blue - plug behind the metering plate near the top of the fuel distributor).

Slyguy, did you forget to connect the single wire to the overboost pressure sensor on the boost recirc manifold? That wire must be grounded (through the normally closed sensor switch) for your pumps to run. And what's this test relay you refer to? Replaces the yellow troublemaker?

I presume you've checked the fuel pump fuse up front in the fuse tray?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 06-13-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
It's the reverse of what you would think....unplug the thing and the pumps will run continuously with the key on (that is, if you're referring to the green - or is it blue - plug behind the metering plate near the top of the fuel distributor).

Slyguy, did you forget to connect the single wire to the overboost pressure sensor on the boost recirc manifold? That wire must be grounded (through the normally closed sensor switch) for your pumps to run. And what's this test relay you refer to? Replaces the yellow troublemaker?

I presume you've checked the fuel pump fuse up front in the fuse tray?
I absolutely love the fact you guys are up later than I am surfing the pelican site!!! (time zones notwithstanding of course...)

Fuel pump fuses fine, did the Rice mod some time back...
Overboost switch has no effect plugged in or unplugged...
overboost pressure sensor grounded as it has always been...

My test relay is simply one with the cap removed allowing you to manually power it up, very handy to have around!

Last edited by slyguy; 06-14-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

just pulled the green plug for the cold start valve and the pumps run continuously. the yellow blue wire at the hi torque starter is not connected to anything (and hasn't been even when the car was running pre engine drop) could this be a factor?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The connector for the "cold start valve"? I would have thought it would be the metering plate switch. With it unplugged, the pumps run with the ignition on?

The wire from the starter powers "something". Do you have a wiring diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy View Post
just pulled the green plug for the cold start valve and the pumps run continuously. the yellow blue wire at the hi torque starter is not connected to anything (and hasn't been even when the car was running pre engine drop) could this be a factor?
Is this what you disconnected?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I, am an idiot... duh, had the plugs reversed... thanks rocket! Time for a little early evening motor run in! YEEEE HAHHHH!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OMG! That was too simple. That cold start valve - plugged in or not - won't stop your pumps from running, but may make it a female dog to start.
I don't know if this even warrants admission to the "won't start" sticky!!! Best we forget it. And to think, I haven't been sleeping nights trying to figure this one out. I'll buy you a Scotch, next time you're just "passing through" Washington State.
Happy for you Sly! How many times have I slapped my forehead, saying DUH!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

^^^^. I was thinking the same thing. No add to the Sticky for this one!

Glad it's fixed. Have fun!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Ran the car in the other night, changing the oil, checking the newly added turbo sump filter for garbage, powering up the LM1 and should be ready for some break in miles and re-tuning. Regarding the no-start thread well lets just say if anyone ever suspects they have the plugs reversed I'd be happy to help them in straightening them out. I'd consider myself to be very knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps an 'I think I have my connectors reversed' thread would be in order???

Tom
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: