Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche-Poor

Garage
oil sludge on turbo housing

noticed yesterday have a bunch a black/sooty oil sludge on my turbo housing, the upper part where it mates with the down pipe from the intercooler, I am assuming this isn't normal, maybe there isn't a perfect seal with the down pipe or something and getting some oil in the intake coming in through the inter cooler??? Not smoking or anything and leak down is under 3%, just curious. Thanks in advance.
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

probably leaking oil getting blown up on the housing from the oil inlet to the turbo bearingsor the line itself. Also any oil leaking from the chain boxes etc. might end up there also.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
hey Ken thanks for the reply, will check around the lines but haven't noticed any leaks anywhere around there, cam boxes nice and dry. . .I cleaned the turbo really well and will just monitor any fresh oil around there and double check everything is tight, never know, I recently discovered that all the nuts on my valve covers weren't very tight as well, figure the heat from these motors tend to loosen things up from time to time
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

my oil supply line to the turbo leaked, it is a metal hose with a short rubber section in it. one of the crimp connections developed a leak and sprayed oil around the area you mentioned. but it was just enough to make a mess so it took me a while to figure out where it was actually coming from. I replaced it with a welded braided satinless steel line from some left over parts at work.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
hmmm, ok thanks again, will check that out next
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: