Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Will A Long Neck I/C fit a 3 Liter Turbo

I am told that the 3.3 long neck I/C will also fit the 3 liter turbo. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Yes, it should.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a 77 3.0 with that intercooler and it has either a kit to install, or lots of parts that are not on a 3.0 from the factory were fabricated. Also the whale tail would need to be changed or modified.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The word is a 3.0 and 3.3 are different and require different intercoolers.

Do not know if you can do a work around. Andial still has a 3.0 IC on there web site.

Some buy a take off 3.3 manfold to make it work.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Guess I was wrong....
Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What I have read on here is that the main mounting difference is the throttle body angle. It seems with a long neck and silicone hose that it might not matter. There was a pic on here somewhere with the 3.0 and 3.3 intakes/throttle bodies next to each other and you could then tell. looks like the turbo is in the same position with both cars so thats why I'm wondering if anyone has done this.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Guess I was wrong....
You might not be I am told the long neck version will work. But I just want to be sure.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No reason you can't fit a longneck cooler on an early non IC 930. The intakes are nearly the same except for some of the ancillary device mounting bosses on the surface of the later intake and the throttle angles are different. The recirculation assys. are quite different but this is not an issue because the long neck cooler uses the late style BOV that replaces the stock recirculation assy. anyway.

Worst case you might have to modify the cooler to throttle body connection to use a silicone hose and clamps instead of the standard O ring fit.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-16-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
No reason you can't fit a longneck cooler on an early non IC 930. The intakes are nearly the same except for some of the ancillary device mounting bosses on the surface of the later intake and the throttle angles are different. The recirculation assys. are quite different but this is not an issue because the long neck cooler uses the late style BOV that replaces the stock recirculation assy. anyway.

Worst case you might have to modify the cooler to throttle body connection to use a silicone hose and clamps instead of the standard O ring fit.

Cole
Even stock right now the recirculation assembly mounts via hose and clamps to the throttle body.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

with a little fabrication, a long neck works. nothing you can't do with hand tools in your garage!

my kokeln on my 77

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
with a little fabrication, a long neck works. nothing you can't do with hand tools in your garage!

my kokeln on my 77

Was your kokeln made to fit a 3.3 and you used it on the 3.0? What did you have to modify?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If your going to add an intercooler you want to use a long neck and get rid of the recirculation assy. There is a advantage in spool up using the 946 style BOV and a slight weight savings by getting rid of the old recirculation casting.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHETURBO930 View Post
Was your kokeln made to fit a 3.3 and you used it on the 3.0? What did you have to modify?
yes, it was made for a 3.3. I had to fab up some mounting studs/brackets, and a charge pipe. I also had to modify the intercooler itself as I run a tial BOV to atmosphere.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: