Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sorry Brian, I just didnt really thing the shot was in good taste....

How much power can the twin K16's make?

Cheers
Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Not much doubt about that. Don't understand it and don't care to.

Don't know where the K16's top out. The K16's are typically upgraded to K16/24 hybrids on the modified 993tt cars. Stock was 400CHP and I believe the K16's will handle at least 400WHP. My goal with this system is 400WHP so these are a great value.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
........... I plan to run twin zorks with mine. That will sound sooooooo awesome!
I'd like to hear that!!!
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone
Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
Sorry Brian, I just didnt really thing the shot was in good taste....
Agreed. Consider the source though....
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

OK Brian, that really looks good. Let us know how they turn out.

What about the heater boxes for the "standard" set up?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Sorry to so annoy the RarlyL8 faithful, but those headers are a joke to all who know anything about cars and turbos, and hey, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. We have covered the problems with the design ad nauseam. The sad fact is that twin turbos can utilize equal length effectively, if only designed correctly.

As for the consider the source comment from 911nut, that is one notch from me reporting you to the webmaster, so keep that in mind. You can PM me if you have a problem with that.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Please don't egg on the mean people Jeff, I'm here to have fun and enjoy the company of mature adults.

Yes these headers have been added to my line-up and are not special order. They are the same sell price as the 930 single turbo headers. If you want different flanges or flange orientation they will be included extra and not welded on as this should be done on the car to get the orientation you desire.

The yellow car is featured in another thread started by the owner. Another set is going on soon and that fellow will post as well.

The design for the twins is taken directly from my split plenum 930 headers. The split plenum units with dual waste gates are completely separate and merge at the turbo, making it essentially a twin turbo setup terminating into a single turbo.
I don't have any data comparing the split plenum setup with the twin turbo setup. It would really be impossible to do correctly as the turbos used are completely different. I plan to use stock 993 K16 turbos when I mount these on my car. You can pick a set up used for not much money. If memory serves I paid $300 for my set of K16's.
Once I put these on my car I can make a kit for anyone interested. I don't think we are looking at big money here after all is said and done. Probably less than $3K complete. I plan to run twin zorks with mine. That will sound sooooooo awesome!
Do you have the link to the yellow 930 thread? I would like to check that out!

Awesome looking car!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
As for the consider the source comment from 911nut, that is one notch from me reporting you to the webmaster, so keep that in mind. You can PM me if you have a problem with that.
There is absolutely no reason to be so abrasive. I really doubt you would say any of these things in person. Report away, better yet let me do it for you.
Any debate should be a civil discussion of how and why, not a rude outburst of opinion. You may have some helpful knowledge to share but we'll never know it because of your behavior.

I have said many times that the word performance covers much more than just ringing out the last bit of power. It also means quality and thoughtful compromise to accent the intended use. These are street cars which have vastly different needs than race cars. I personally don't know anybody offering things like this off the shelf, in any form.

Miguel, yes these will have heat exchangers as well. Latest word was that I should see the first production run next week. There are a dozen or so folks eagerly awaiting their back-ordered exchangers so this is a priority.

DDD, Shoot me an email and I'll give you whatever info you are looking for.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post

What about the heater boxes for the "standard" set up?
Miguel, heater boxes will only be available to those of us who actually live in COLD climates. South of the Mason Dixon line Brian will ship them with a sweater
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Ooops, did not mean to start a $hit storm... just curious as I have turbo motor on my engine stand for my race car and was interested in this set up. It is a twin plug 3.0 EFI with a garret single turbo that I was interested in using twin turbos on as I don't need 500hp but do want quick spool, something likely available with a twin set up....

That, coupled with the fact that I really don't like it when folks chirp on the internet with log in names that don't identify themselves (Brian has contact info available) about how much they know without backing it up....... (kinda chicken $hit). I really don't see anything on SS’s webpage that indicates he has the knowledge, but maybe he does, and if he wants to be a good contributor to the forum maybe he could share some of his wisdom instead of his typical anecdotal shots... Really, if you have all the answers, or even some of them, maybe you could share them with us so we all could learn?? Why would you not share what you know with the forum, and back it up? That is the whole reason forums like this exist......

I have the upmost respect for Brian and his work, so much so that I sent him the heads you see on his demo motor. If it were not for folks like him (and Ben and others) our crowd would be missing out on some great products....
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Wait, I thought the headers are equal length. The hater seems to be saying they are not.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

brian nice work!
i refered one of my friends to you up here in alaska and we are looking forward to getting his parts so we can install and dyno to see what the upgrades do for him.

i think pelican might have a rodent problem!

squirrel spray anyone!

cheers ed
Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
beancounter

In a single post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
..hey, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
+

Quote:
As for the consider the source comment from 911nut, that is one notch from me reporting you to the webmaster...
= very amusing.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I think it is important to distinguish between personal attacks, like "consider the source", or "rodent problem" or any similar comments.

My point is that this system is a poor design. This one is truely awful because in the case of twin turbos, equal length, which RarlyL8 has been marketing on this forum for awhile now, is actually measureably effective, if done correctly. These in my opinion are not. As far as appearance is concerned, while I'm sure that they look "cool" to some, they are a joke to me. I think that is a fair opinion to be expressed in a forum like this.

Previously, Rarly's posters attacked us for simply asking for comparison data. I see no reason for that, or for this latest attempt to suppress the opinions of others. I certainly have never attacked RarlyL8 as a person, and have no intention to do so. I do think it is fair to challenge an idea or philosophy. That's one aspect of a forum. If that is not appreciated, I have no problem with banning myself, as I find the lack of such interchange dull and uninteresting.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
What is it that you see as being poorly designed?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
I think it is important to distinguish between personal attacks, like "consider the source", or "rodent problem" or any similar comments.

My point is that this system is a poor design. This one is truely awful because in the case of twin turbos, equal length, which RarlyL8 has been marketing on this forum for awhile now, is actually measureably effective, if done correctly. These in my opinion are not. As far as appearance is concerned, while I'm sure that they look "cool" to some, they are a joke to me. I think that is a fair opinion to be expressed in a forum like this.

Previously, Rarly's posters attacked us for simply asking for comparison data. I see no reason for that, or for this latest attempt to suppress the opinions of others. I certainly have never attacked RarlyL8 as a person, and have no intention to do so. I do think it is fair to challenge an idea or philosophy. That's one aspect of a forum. If that is not appreciated, I have no problem with banning myself, as I find the lack of such interchange dull and uninteresting.
I hope you don't ban yourself from the forum. That makes no sense either.

For me, they are interesting to look at, but that's it.

When I build someone an EFI car and they spend an avg of $10k in parts and labor, we always discuss what will work best. Most of the time, you guys want the absolute best, latest part so no HP/TQ is left on the table - extrude hone this, polish that, shave the other, and so on (and heaven forbid, it better have $15/qt synthetic). So, after installing an ECU that has thousands of hours of development on and off the track, turbos that are race proven with millions of dollars of R&D, hours and hours of dyno and street tuning, if I ever recommended headers from a guy who makes them who only has an internet shop, that have no numbers, no practical experience in header development (didn't come from a shop or race team or engine builder or tuner), no race or endurance experience or data, I would be laughed out of my side gig.

But wait, he's a hell of a guy - no kidding. And very helpful to some.

To invest the kind of money we do in these cars and read the anal discussions on polyester molecules in each brand of synthetic oil, I have to say I am surprised we would spend thousands on something as important as a header based on best guess, internet research (remember, no testing, no experience, no numbers, etc) and collective forum excitement.

Anyway Brian, I admire your diligence and focus. I'll continue to read with interest.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Very honest and accurate post from DonE, who has had sexy looking equal length headers on his motor, and what was his experience when the car was on a dyno ?

That said, I like that Brian is designing headers and mufflers and selling them to whoever wants to try them out.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Speedy Squirrel

Quote:
My point is that this system is a poor design. This one is truly awful because in the case of twin turbos, equal length, which RarlyL8 has been marketing on this forum for awhile now, is actually measurably effective, if done correctly. These in my opinion are not. As far as appearance is concerned, while I'm sure that they look "cool" to some, they are a joke to me. I think that is a fair opinion to be expressed in a forum like this.
Certainly you, like anyone else, is entitled to their opinion, the fundamental problem here is that you have not provided any data whatsoever (street use or racing) to back your diatribe. That being said, in my opinion, your credibility is highly questionable.

Some contibutors to this forum have developed ways via their own efforts and experimentation to improve the breed and continue to uphold the charisma of the specific model and I hold them in high regrad for their contributions.
79 Honda CBX

Last edited by boxermania; 07-03-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermania View Post
Speedy Squirrel

Certainly you, like anyone else, is entitled to their opinion, the fundamental problem here is that you have not provided any data whatsoever (street use or racing) to back your diatribe. That being said, in my opinion, your credibility is highly questionable.

Some contibutors to this forum have developed ways via their own efforts and experimentation to improve the breed and continue to uphold the charisma of the specific model and I hold them in high regrad for their contributions.
Do a search - he knows what he talking about. Maybe not the best delivery and he possibly got sucked in to a no-win argument, but he knows. And since he's from Detroit and an engineer might be a clue too.

I'm just sayin'....
Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Do a search - he knows what he talking about. Maybe not the best delivery and he possibly got sucked in to a no-win argument, but he knows. And since he's from Detroit and an engineer might be a clue too.

I'm just sayin'....
Does that give him the right to be a dick about it ?? Read a few of his other posts he's crass and offers nothing constructive.. In this thread as an example he's yet to actually say what's wrong with them.
This is not the place for that,,, if you want to be an *******, go to off topic, that's where I exersize my obnoxious skills. We are talking about equal lenght headers, it's not rocket science ( oh that's right he's a rodent rocket scientist I forgot). I think there's a right way and a wrong way to conduct yourself on this forum and Brian and his product deserve a little more respect.. IMHO..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: