Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Self-Adhesive Film vs Paint, who has done this?

I've seen a few blurbs where (race) cars are using self-adhesive flim intead of paint. This is an interesting alternative.
Anyone here done this and what are your impressions?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Never had it done, but if you search the race forums here and on Rennlist, you'll find lots on car wraps. Seems it goes on and can be taken off easily. IIRC, the cost can be 2-3k.

I've seen some cars at the track that looked very cool.

You thinking about it?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
No FHE, but someone asked a similar question on the Technical forum within the last couple weeks. Seems like the film comes in rolls that aren't quite wide enough to cover the entire width of a car, so there may be a seam in between two rolls. If you're doing racecar livery that's probably not a problem, as there will be a design to distract the eye from the seam and the car's only got to pass the 10-foot test, anyway. If you're a perfectionist and going to do your car in a single color, it might bug you. That was one response, at least.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do you mean in spots that get stone blasted? If thats what you mean there are probably lots of products now.

Back in the mid eightees we used helicopter tape on the nose of Preston Henn's 962104 to keep the stone blasting from eating through the gel coat on the nose of the car during the 24 hours of Daytona.

Without it the paint and gel coat was nearly gone on the leading edge of the nose after that race from stones and chunks of tire rubber (marbles) thrown up by the cars in front of you..
It is a strong clear plastic film with adhesive on one side and is made for and origonally used on the leading edge of helicopter blades to protect them during use.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes, my car was painted 10 years ago and I'd like a change. The paint is still in excellent shape so this seems like a possible compromise to removing my nice paint. I have seen where a few high end cars had this treatment and was curious as to the reality of it.
The important issues (to me) are how well it looks, how long does it last, how difficult is it to remove and does it harm the paint.
Jim I have seen these films and sure wish I had used them on my bumpers and fender flairs as they have been beaten badly by rocks over the years.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

Over here most of the taxi's are covered in this, because the cars resale value is somewhat higher with an "as new" paint underneath. It looks good.

I have seen TV shows with awesome vinyl wraps - in varius styles. One was a special edition Lotus that was covered in a Union Jack style wrap. Kind of like in the Austin powers movie . It looked awesome.

I have considered it myself as well, since I somewhat like the idea of repainting mycar in its original colour and then cover it in something crazy.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Jesper
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It has been used over here for some while, mostly on taxis, commercial vehicles etc.
But now it is more common on regular cars as well as a alternative to re-paint.

My friend has had this on is audi RS4 for over 2 years now, with now failure.
Here is a picture from Nürburgring this year. The RS4 is originally shiny black.

A swedish company that does this has some examples here.

autostripe.se - racedekor - helfoliering - solfilm - bildgalleri
1986 944 Turbo
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would want to know about removing it, and with what. I removed the vinyl graphics from our race car recently. They have been on for the past 3 yrs. The vinyl peeled right off with no paint damage. The problem was the adhesive from the vinyl was still on the car in a lot of areas. I used citrus Goof Off and a plastic putty knife to scrap off the adhesive, this took a few hours. The adhesive came off without damaging the paint, but I'd hate to do a whole car.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It sounds like improvements have been made in this product over time. How is it cared for such as washing or waxing?? I'll have to look into that.
$2K-$3K sounds a lot better than $6K for another permanent paint job. This is worth looking into a little further.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I agree Harold but plan on paying the same outfit that installs it to later remove the vinyl and detail the paint as part of the expense and process. That does make me nervous as my paint is really nice.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I recently read an article in one of the mags anout a guy in UK I think who wrapped his 911 in chrome wrap. It looked really good if you could stand the attention it garnered. No wrinkles were visible so it looked nice and smooth and very chrome.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

When I was doing a search on how to remove it I found the companies are going to charge you an hourly rate because it's slow and tedious work, and I doubt they would guarantee the survival of your paint job. When I talked to the vinyl guy that did ours his response to removing it was, no worries it just peals right off. In some areas it did with no adhesive residue what so ever. In other areas, like the hood and roof (probably because of the direct sun exposure) it looked like someone sprayed a nice even coat of adhesive on the paint. I'm sure the longer you leave it on, the harder it is to remove. Just more questions to ask.
But, I agree it's slick idea vs painting, especially after a few lousy painting experiences.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It doesn't last as long as paint and it isn't all that easy to remove after several years in the sun. Look at any Toyota truck tailgate lettering and you'll know exactly how well it fares. It looks fine for several years but vinyl shrinks. That's why old car dashes are cracked. As it shrinks it will expose edges and it may pull away from concave areas. I've removed a LOT of old vinyl from cars, trust me, it isn't easy to remove unless it's fresh.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Good info, thanks!
Knowing me I would keep it a long time. If my paint is in danger due to time and heat this may be a problem. End up with bad vinyl AND bad paint, not the desired outcome.
I'll keep looking into solutions for a change in scenery. Maybe new wheels or bumpers. It's time for a facelift that doesn't cost $6K like a new paintjob.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I recently did a track day and the guy that runs the school introduced some new product they were hoping people to try, was in liquid form, you roll it on and dries to a protective film and protects against rock chips, at least that's the goal. You can remove it with a pressure washer, forget the name sorry
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
How about a set of stripes for something different and easy to remove? Vinyl stripes?

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My other 2 favorite colors for my car would be silver or black. Really like black. Don't want stripes or graphics but a solid color.
It is looking like this is not the best option for my needs. I think I'll look into different bumpers and wheels. These cars transform the look with just those changes.
I may put my old bumper back on.

Stock bumper:

This is the old bumper. Can someone photoshop a duck tail in place of the GT2 wing? I have a duck ready to go so this may be what I need to do. Put the old bumper back on with a duck and new wheels.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: