Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 930 alignment settings ?

Have 9x17 front and 11x17 rear wheels on mid-eighties 930, Bilstien Sport shocks, stock torsion bars and big RUF sway bars. Lowered to "Euro" height. What alignment settings are folks using for combo street and DE ? TIA, Jim.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hey jim as soon as i lower the rear on my 87 i will be using these settings as i have heard these work well for street/track combos. caster 6.5, camber for front and rear 2.5, toe in front 0.1, toe in rear 0.4. hope this helps frank
Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
My track/street settings are:
Camber frt= neg 2.4
Camber rear= neg 2.5
Frt toe= zero
Rear toe= neg 0.01 inches per side
I am not sure about the camber because my wrench had trouble calibrating the smart camber gage, and my own gage reads about 0.5 degrees lower than what his print out says. I think I am actually 2.0 degrees in front 2.1 in rear.
I think it handled ok at Mid Ohio last month, but not sure if i had enuff negative camber on the front tires to get full tread scrubbing, and i had alot of understeer all weekend.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Jim,

I will need adjustments made to my car to make it more street friendly. Are you performing the adjustments yourself or having work performed at a local shop? If local who?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Empty,
All my previous 911/930 alignments performed by a fellow who has now retired. About to try Martin at H.A.R.D. on Kempt Rd. Recently noticed some strange vibrations through the steering wheel at low speeds during a tight turn, and have not had an alignment done for a couple of years. You know the physical condition of our local streets and highways....
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi,

My car has been lowered so I wonder if that impacts the setting one would use?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Metal Guru

Garage
For combo street/DE I wouldn't go more than -1 degree camber on front, -1 degree 15 min camber on rear. Toe front +20 min, toe rear +15 min per side, max difference 5 minutes.
More than that will be very hard on tires and harsh over rough roads.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jim and Empty; I put new tires on my '82 ROW 930 (Euro ride height) last week. Tire size is stock. The car was driving great but I thought an alignment would be prudent. I had the alignment done at a well known shop in HRM yesterday. Drove great on the city streets but once I hit the highway it got scary. Anything over 120 kph and it's twitchy; feels like a strong intermittent cross wind is hitting the car. Something has been changed that doesn't feel right.

I am wondering if the shop applied the wrong numbers (US vs ROW?). If you know of a resource in the Halifax area who can dial in these cars I'd be interested in paying a visit.

Cheers......D
Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
My settings are (Street use with track option), coil overs, 17" lower than stock Euro:

Front Rear
Toe-in: +5' +15' (per side)

Camber: -130' -130'

Caster: 5 -------

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

D - This appears to be an issue locally. Have not been successful in finding a good alignment guy in HRM. Have had both the VW dealer in Truro recommended since they do race prep work, and Valley Tire near Kentville, but haven't taken the next step. Send me a private e-mail to discuss local conditions further. Jim
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I took the car back in and was informed by a more experienced alignment guy that the sealing compound is so heavily applied to the upper strut mount it is embedded in place. The guy from last visit wasn't working. Hmmmm - wonder what work was done the first time, and why this wasn't mentioned. Numbers are out a bit but not significantly on the front. Back is perfect.

I was informed to chisel off the black compound and bring the car back. The compound has been heavily applied and is like concrete. Bentley mentions removing the compound, but no mention of what to reapply.

I spent an hour tonight removing most of the compound from one side. Had to use a chisel - there's no elasticity left in this stuff. Now for the dumb question - is the compound to seal water out, or to firm up the front settings once adjusted and guard against any movement? Any risks to not putting the compound back on?

What are others doing?

Thanks....Denis
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

You have to remove all that stuff like your doing to adjust camber and caster and a heat gun will help soften it.
It's there to seal out water if it gets splashed up there. You don't have to put any back in if you never drive in rain. You can pull the carpet back and look to see if water got in after driving in heavy rain.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The heat gun is a great idea; thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: