Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

will this work? (oil cooler in series)

wts: BAT / mocal oil cooler

Will this work if I mount as a front oil cooler in series with my current B&B fender mount? Or, am I better off buying the typical 70+ row mocal (for $575) and running that alone? (and selling my current fender cooler)

In other words, is there an advantage to running two separate smaller coolers rather than one larger one? (other than the net ~$250 in cost)

Thanks,
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That's a pretty small oil cooler and unless you have a way to get air to it (an air dam), it's going to do minimal cooling IMHO. Might be better off moving it to the other fender, blocking and adding a fan. Two big coolers is what I would do.

Depending on what you do with the car, i.e track it, hot weather, stop and go traffic, etc., extra cooling is a must. Especially if you are making any more power than stock. I had the stock fender oil cooler with a large air dam oil cooler that worked great. Never got over 200-210 at the track in hot weather. Since removing my air dam, I'm looking for ways to remount the same cooler in the left fender well. It's too big to mount behind the stock valance unless I do major surgery to it (and I don't have those skills to make it look good).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I have tested this before, and find that the pressure drop is excessive with two coolers in series. The scavenge pump cannot pump through them adequately.
Pat
Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks guys. I'll plan for a single larger cooler.....
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I run two large fluidyne coolers in series with no pressure drop issues. I use -12 lines too. One cooler is a single pass and the other is a dual pass. Look at fluidyne's website for pressure drop numbers. I think mine drops 6 psi for both. For high performance, two coolers is an important upgrade.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My 930 has two oil cooler also with fans behind each cooler. One cooler is in each fenders with ducts from fog light openings (fog lights are removed). This setup is without an engine mounted oil cooler. It maintains at least 1.5 bar at idle. -12 lines are used, too. So I don't see a problem using two oil coolers.

Are the oil pumps the same for all year 930's? Mine is an '87.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: