Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I have a question concerning the reason for installing the catch can. I do a mix of DE and street driving with my 79 930 and I was wondering if you guys that track your cars started having problems with excessive oil in your intake or air cleaner housing that was attributed directly to increased blowby from the crankcase. The stock 79 930 never had an oil separator from Porsche and I wonder if track driving causes so much more blowby to tax the stock system. My intake has been pretty dry so far but I do see highly increased oil consumption during track days that I am trying to pin down so I can reduce it.
Also how often does the can get full meaning every few 20 minute DE sessions or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
heater??? track cars dont need no stinking heater. Might be a good point for a street car, though.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You won't need to install it "between" the filter and tank. Just terminate the old line from the tank to the catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post

I may put one 'in-line' between the tank and filter...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Depends on the miles, age and condition of your engine. With too much blowby, a catch can won't do anything. That's the first reason I installed one. Fumes were pouring out of the vent. Took apart the engine and I had the 93 piece ring kit.

Over a weekend of track time, I might use a quart a day/weekend. Just depends on the length and number of sessions. I've drained very little out of the catch can since my rebuild. I use the top to a paint or brake cleaner spray can to drain it. Another good reason to use one is if your engine pukes up oil out of the oil tank, the catch can will contain it vs it going into the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
I have a question concerning the reason for installing the catch can. I do a mix of DE and street driving with my 79 930 and I was wondering if you guys that track your cars started having problems with excessive oil in your intake or air cleaner housing that was attributed directly to increased blowby from the crankcase. The stock 79 930 never had an oil separator from Porsche and I wonder if track driving causes so much more blowby to tax the stock system. My intake has been pretty dry so far but I do see highly increased oil consumption during track days that I am trying to pin down so I can reduce it.
Also how often does the can get full meaning every few 20 minute DE sessions or what?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

The late eightee's cars came with a plastic catch can that has a hose at the bottom to drain collected oil back into the oil tank. It is mounted to the inner fender wall in the space behind the oil tank.

If needed lot of people put heavy duty thick wire gauge chore girl round stainless or bronze coiled wire pan scrubbing pads or something similar in the usually empty catch can to collect more of the small oil droplets in the oil vapors traveling through the can and then it runs and drips down to the bottom of the can.

If nothing else is around, even though it's heavy, I've seen the catch cans filled up with old bolts and whatever to condense or collect oil from the blowby mist.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The late eightee's cars came with a plastic catch can that has a hose at the bottom to drain collected oil back into the oil tank. It is mounted to the inner fender wall in the space behind the oil tank.

If needed lot of people put heavy duty thick wire gauge chore girl round stainless or bronze coiled wire pan scrubbing pads or something similar in the usually empty catch can to collect more of the small oil droplets in the oil vapors traveling through the can and then it runs and drips down to the bottom of the can.

If nothing else is around, even though it's heavy, I've seen the catch cans filled up with old bolts and whatever to condense or collect oil from the blowby mist.
I know about this and was thinking this is the best solution provided you could find the parts in good condition and retrofit them to the early cars. The automatic drain back to the tank is a nice benefit. I just wonder if Porsche made this change on the later cars because they saw increased blowby as a problem on the turbos when they are driven very hard.

Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: