Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stock Air Filter Removal-930

I'm planning on installing a K&N clamp on filter(tired of removing the "mail box"). What type of filter or setup is recommened for the 2 breather hoses and pictures please?

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Anyone??
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
"the mailbox", that's funny! All this time I've been putting my bread in there...

Couldn't you braze on the aftermarket intake tube or drill and attach nipples for the breather tubes? If you do it in the back it would be less visible.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Brian (RarlyL8) has a setup you might be interested in. Send him a pm for pics or maybe he'll post here.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger's 2937 View Post
I'm planning on installing a K&N clamp on filter(tired of removing the "mail box"). What type of filter or setup is recommened for the 2 breather hoses and pictures please?

Thanks-Roger B.
The one item I recommend you keep an eye on is the diameter of the breather line from the oil tank. Try to keep the same diameter so that the pressure is relieved from the crankcase...
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I did the Fabspeed unit. Looks great, opens/cleans the bay up. They give you breather filters for the oil tank hose.

Robert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I too did the fabspeed upgrade. works perfect. I bought an oil catch can from Summit Racing (revealing my 1/4 mile roots) and mounted it in the engine compartment to catch any overflow.

I have all the part #'s if you need them, but they are easy to find.

I am taking her in to get an oil change tomorrow (going to RA this weekend ) and i'll try and take a pic.

b
1982 930 Track Car "The Pumpkin"
2002 996tt X50 Lapis Blue Street Machine
Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok, ok. i went into the garage and took these.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Jayhawk's is smilar to mine.

One thing I noticed about JH's though, was that the vent line off the WUR is not vconnected to the air cleaner any more. I used a NPT threaded barb to the bottom of my BMC air filter and ran the vent tube to there. If there is a flood of gas, maybe it will go into the engine vs onto the engine.

The blue hose to the IC is just bent out of the way while I'm working on the car. It's not connected to the catch can.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Jayhawk's is smilar to mine.

One thing I noticed about JH's though, was that the vent line off the WUR is not vconnected to the air cleaner any more. I used a NPT threaded barb to the bottom of my BMC air filter and ran the vent tube to there. If there is a flood of gas, maybe it will go into the engine vs onto the engine.

The blue hose to the IC is just bent out of the way while I'm working on the car. It's not connected to the catch can.

What is the brand/model of catch can you have there Rocket?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just did a rebuilt on my 930 and I have my oil tank vent going to the small fabspeed filter. It just vents to the atmosphere. I don't get any oil build up. The question is, will it start to drip oil? It just puts smoke out of it.

Robert
Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post
I just did a rebuilt on my 930 and I have my oil tank vent going to the small fabspeed filter. It just vents to the atmosphere. I don't get any oil build up. The question is, will it start to drip oil? It just puts smoke out of it.

Robert
Robert:

My car is mostly used on the track. I have to keep the oil level in the middle of the marks, otherwise as it gets hot, I get some overflow into my little catch can. If it used mostly on the street, you filter might leak some. When it does, that is a mess.

Give me a call on the other thing. 816-678-8370
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Those of you with the vented catch cans, and or, small line filters in the engine bay: you don't mind having oily vapors floating around back there? Can you smell the vapors when you have the cabin heater on (seems like they would get drawn into the heating system via the engine fan)?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

heater??? track cars dont need no stinking heater. Might be a good point for a street car, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Those of you with the vented catch cans, and or, small line filters in the engine bay: you don't mind having oily vapors floating around back there? Can you smell the vapors when you have the cabin heater on (seems like they would get drawn into the heating system via the engine fan)?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies-you've been helpful. In the interest of cost savings, I'm going to install a 5" diameter by 4" tall K&N clamp on filter on the intake that doesn't have any ports. Then for the 2 breather hoses I'm going to try a couple small K&N's that are about 3" by 2" tall with a 1/2" nipple. I don't track the car so I don't think a catch can is necessary but we'll see. I just have to figure out how to mount the 2 filters/hoses so they don't just dangle loose in the engine compartment. Again, any comments are appreciated if I'm screwing up on something.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I agree... I tried the simple ventilation filter and was picking up the smell in the cabin. So, I went straight to the top of the air filter cap... Just like Brian [Rarly].

Here is a pic with the hose removed.... You get the gist...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've never smelt anything in the track or street.

One thing about venting it back into the engine is that oil vapors promote detonation. Sure it's a minute amount, but no point in helping it.

I got mine from Summit Racing. The brand name escapes me (begins with a "M" I think) and was about $60-70?. It has a -12 make fitting that the line slips right on. A 1/2" fitting will be way too small.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Moroso. I have the same one, also from Summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I've never smelt anything in the track or street.

One thing about venting it back into the engine is that oil vapors promote detonation. Sure it's a minute amount, but no point in helping it.

I got mine from Summit Racing. The brand name escapes me (begins with a "M" I think) and was about $60-70?. It has a -12 make fitting that the line slips right on. A 1/2" fitting will be way too small.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Moroso. I have the same one, also from Summit.
Ok, thanks rocket and jayhawk...

I may put one 'in-line' between the tank and filter...
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

There is a 1" hole origonally for the air pump hoses a few inches from the back of each side of the engine tin.

I used part of the long air pump hose that origonally crossed over the top of the engine just behind the fan housing and ran it down through that hole on the passenger side. you can put a rubber grommet in the hole first to seal around the hose keeping it snug, and it looks better.

That way the crankcase fumes come out under the engine sheet metal next to the passenger side rocker cover and none of it is an issue to the motor anymore and none gets sucked into the engine fan to come out the heater ducts in the wintertime.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: