Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tuttobono

Oil Cooler installed at engine wing

Has anyone ever had experience with installing an oil cooler in the tail wing over the engine?
This was suggested to me but am not sure of how viable this is.
I would imagine there would be cooling loss because of the short travel and perhaps less air flow than at the front wing.

Any experiences or ideas on this?
1973 Fiat Spider 124
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have no experience but am just loaded with opinions! Might work to cool the oil, but the trade off would be the heated air from the oil cooler now being introduced to the engine compartment and the intercooler, resulting in a hotter/less dense air charge to the intake manifold = performance reduction and/or greater chance of detonation at WOT.

Remember, opinions are like arse-holes, everyone has one.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
+1 on what Mark said, in addition high center of gravity, more weight in the back. running it up to the front serves to balance out the weight and the lines provide quite a bit of cooling on the way to the cooler. Additionally it's tough to beat the air flow on the nose of the car
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

along with whats been said, I don't like the idea of flexing 2 engine oil hoses every time I open the rear lid
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

the factory put trans coolers in the tail on 934's and 935's

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
the factory put trans coolers in the tail on 934's and 935's
Sounds like it could work, then.

But I'd be likely to side with what Mark said (the engine can get damn hot!). I also remember something about RUF's YellowBird having some cooling ducts cut into the back of early models' rear quarters (for cooling for the I/Cs) - for later models they removed these vents because they found that these were actually LOW PRESSURE zones..

Highest pressure (coolest) area has to be the 934 front-mounted style, surely?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: