Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

My understanding is that the heat wraps keep the temps up in the turbo, muffler, etc. and this keeps the flow velocity up. They can also keep underhood tempps down. The downside is that wraps can be hard on parts, with corrosion, ruct, etc.

Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
I'm of the opinion (I could be wrong) that any kind of wrap or foil will only increase the exhaust temp by keeping all the heat in, and decrease the efficiency of the turbo. - especially if you have no intercooler, like NO RSR.
Bill K
Old 07-17-2010, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
cycling has-been

to qualify the the 40 deg temp reduction statement: - at Watkins Glen with the ambient temp 80-90 degrees, the oil temp gauge was reading between 250-260 degrees after 8-9 laps in the red group. After the bumper mods, temps for the same situation went no higher than 220 degrees.
I put the fan in solely for stop-and-go traffic where I had seen over 300 degrees on several ocasions. The fan keeps temps down below 250 in the same situation and helps reduce the temp faster once traffic lightens up.
Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Bill,
Interesting to see that all of those slots have reduced oil temps as much as 40 deg! I like the look of the stock rear, but I am definitely considering going towards some kind of slotted/vented bumper now.
I'm installing a fan on the carrera cooler this weekend (hopefully), we'll see how much that helps with the temps on my car (runs really hot ~ 250+ on a hot day), I might have to start poking holes!

Last edited by bkreigsr; 07-19-2010 at 04:50 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
surfpangea

Garage
I can not believe you cut those by hand if tried that it would look like Frankenstein very clean job.
I would reinstall the seal as it keeps the heat from the bottom (turbo and headers) from cycling into the top (intake) of the motor creating overheating. Just a thought
Old 07-31-2010, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Matthews View Post
I can not believe you cut those by hand if tried that it would look like Frankenstein very clean job.
I would reinstall the seal as it keeps the heat from the bottom (turbo and headers) from cycling into the top (intake) of the motor creating overheating. Just a thought
Sam,
I think you are confusing the seal around the engine tin with the bumper-to-body seal.
The engine tin seal keeps the heat out of the engine bay - which is a good thing! (I just fitted a new one.)
The seal between top of bumper and body is more cosmetic than anything else. It also only stops air from escaping from the area around the turbo and muffler - which is a bad thing This is the one I removed.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: