Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Delayed cutoff relay

I have been having a problem with hot starts. After driving and getting the engine up to temperature, I cannot restart when I shut off the car. There is a rapid clicking that occurs. I previously thought that it was the fuel pump relay, but the issue is the Delayed cutoff relay. I looked on Pelican, and can't find one. There are many other relays that I was able to find though.

What would cause this to occur? Would this be a symptom of a different problem, or the end problem.

Thanks,

Karsten

1977 Turbo Carrera - Work in progress
1971 911E Targa - Almost gone
Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think I've seen it listed in their pelican catalog. Don't remember what it was called, maybe it was in the relay section.
I do remember it was ridiculously expensive.

If I had a problem with one no way would I spend more than $20 on it. I would just delete it and wire around it because it is not neccesary.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a used delay relay e-mail me for pics. And a resonable price. tjl502man@aol.com regards tom
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm tempted to bypass mine as well. One less thing to worry about on these cars.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I appreciate the reply. By passing it seems to make the most sense, especially if I don't need to have it.

Any thoughts on why it would be clicking rapidly when the car is hot? It works fine when the car cools off. The relay that is in the car was replaced last year, so it practically new. I was thinking that it might be defective possibly? Anything upstream that might cause this.

I am working on getting more heat out of the engine compartment as well, because it gets very hot.

Karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I think I've seen it listed in their pelican catalog. Don't remember what it was called, maybe it was in the relay section.
I do remember it was ridiculously expensive.

If I had a problem with one no way would I spend more than $20 on it. I would just delete it and wire around it because it is not neccesary.

1977 Turbo Carrera - Work in progress
1971 911E Targa - Almost gone
Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolies View Post
Any thoughts on why it would be clicking rapidly when the car is hot? It works fine when the car cools off.
I have just experienced the same issue with a fuel pump relay in 33C temperatures and after several hours running - rapid clicking and relay getting very hot. Pump maintained enough pressure for the motor to run OK. In my case the clicking was it cycling on & off. Relay appeared to be seated properly but cleaning and splaying out the pins fixed it. I assume that the pin sockets expand more than the pins themselves and cause a poor connection. Not sure if the cut-off relay has spades or pins but worth trying.

David
Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If I recall, it's a standard flat spade type of mount. No pins to splay open. I have a brand new spare that at one time I bought, thinking that the stock one was shot....but then came to realize that with my MSD ignition, the PO had installed it hard-wired to power and not first going through the delay relay. Thus, I don't get the delay.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: