Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
varyat

Electronic Boost Control

Speaking with my technician today re: installing a .9 Barr boost spring and possibly new wastegate to improve turbo's output and efficiency. I have a stock 3.3 with K27S,BB Intercooler, BB headers and muffler. He mentioned that I may benefit from an electronic boost control. Could you guys walk me through what one of these does and its advantages. Also brands that have been proven reliable. My goal is for a very reliable street car- no track. Also if anyone has a source for a .9 Barr spring I would appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've used the HKS EVC 5 for about 5 years now with no problems. I think there is a new model out.

BTW if you go with an electronic boost control (EBC), you want use a WG spring much less than the peak, something around a 0.7 or 0.6. The EBC blocks the signal to the WG until the set level is reached, then opens it up, at that point you want it to respond fast, hence the need for a lighter spring. The benefit of an EBC, over the obvious of adjustability, is it holds the WG completely shut until you reach the set point, so there is no creep in the WG that could leak out exhaust gas until it's needed.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
varyat

WinRice: Thanks for that. Where do you guys find WG springs other than .8 and 1.0 Barr values? These are the only ones I ever read about.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varyat View Post
WinRice: Thanks for that. Where do you guys find WG springs other than .8 and 1.0 Barr values? These are the only ones I ever read about.
+1 in Winrice's comments.
As to sources for lower tension springs, that's a good question for the stock WG. Perhaps our host Pelican has them? Now if you had a Tial WG, there are oodles of different springs available.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
varyat

Mark- is it worth the additional expense for the Tial or would a stock WG with .8 bar spring still perform well? Any more info on the technical aspects of EBC? What and how do they work?Thanks !
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
I have a .7 bar or a .8 bar spring that I will sell you for what I paid for them, $50 each shipped. Let me know if you want one or both. They are both in perfect condition.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I switched to a Tial 46mm. My stock WG was too old to trust.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I love my Tial. That said, the stock WG is not a bad unit provided it isn't seeing it's age. Generally speaking, you should shoot for a spring .2 to .4 bar less than where you plan to have your EBC set at. Just a general rule of thumb, others certainly have more experience than I. If you have any doubt that your stock WG is doing funky things, then an upgrade to Tial is a good choice regardless of EBC or not.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I use a Blitz Dual SBC Spec R set at 1 bar along with a Tial 46 w. 0.6 bar spring. It works great.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As noted the EBC more accurately controls boost. It reduces boost leak as one's boost goal is approached and it better holds boost throughout the RPM range where a spring only will tend to follow the efficiency of the turbo and deliver a bit more boost near peak TQ and less otherwise.

Also, if one uses an EBC where boost can be controlled by rpm, one can run more boost early in the rpm range for a much stronger low to mid range(say 1.1-1.2 bar), tapper boost back near TQ peak where detonation is more likely (about 1 bar) and then tapper it further at higher rpm to live withing the fueling ceiling of CIS (about .8 bar).

On Porsche's EFI turbos they do this.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: