Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is another option, but it also has a draw-back. One of the sound options for my systems is the Outlaw, a straight pipe. It replaces the muffler body in the system you have now. The 5" diameter muffler becomes a 3" diameter pipe.
The draw-back of course is noise level.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas930 View Post
Roland,
More or less I went thru all of the same struggles that you are going thru. Although the muffler that I had before my conversion still fit, I was going for the IROC look and wanted the exhaust to come straight out the back. I had the same fitment issues with my rear bumber which was purchase from GT racing. From point to point, it lined up perfect, but just like your seeing the contour wasn't the same. I cut and re-glassed it to get it right. Good luck.

Keith
This seems to be the way to go, except I find a bumper thats more set back (and its's not too pricey)

To reduce the amount of work I could cut like this:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
There is another option, but it also has a draw-back. One of the sound options for my systems is the Outlaw, a straight pipe. It replaces the muffler body in the system you have now. The 5" diameter muffler becomes a 3" diameter pipe.
The draw-back of course is noise level.
Brian, this would be the very easiest way, but I will be shoot immediately as soon I left the garage, simply too loud. Remember, the present muffler sounds very good, even it's at the limit for road-use here in Switzerland (and illegal anyway )

When I look from back to the car, I can see the muffler is not exactly horizontal, It slightly decreases to the right, not your issue, has to do with my turbo position and also the right end is more back then the inlet side vice versa to the stock. Here it would be nice to have another clamp right after the turbo to compensate the misalignment by turning the muffler (maybe an option for the future, what do you think?)

Last edited by proffighter; 05-12-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes noise is an issue but I thought I'd throw it out there as some folks like the volume.

I've thought about that many times but hesitate to add another slip joint and clamp as it begins to look too cluttered with clamps. What you might do is tighten the top bolts first and then the bottom. The muffler body will angle up more while remaining sealed by the gasket.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Because the bumper is useless anyway, I decided to cut in pieces and see, if It can be machted with modest effort and extend in length and wide:

Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

valance/iroc

I had to cut the valance, to clear my B&B muffler. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
after parting the bumper in four pieces, I put them together, each on its wished position fixed glueing wood sticks (aligned on the car of course)

Mounted to check the fit, not bad. Now I can smoothen out the corners and after fill the gaps. I also checked the cut-out for muffler, still to small, but good to get an idea, how much more to cut away

Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
After a weekend spending hours for laminating and grinding I am finished with adapting and checked fit befor painting, not bad finally

Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

bumper litz

Hello roland, Its looks like you are handy with fiber glass. Nice Job! Have a look at my bumper in post 26. I have bumper litz above my plate, installed in the frame. They give the bumper a nice clean/smooth look. They are LED, and do a good job. These lights are only $20 cdn. on ebay. I bought a few different styles of lights, but none did a nice clean job as these. Hope this may help. cheers from Canada. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
After a few weeks since my last post, I am now finished with the bumper.

Here it is after cutting and rebuilding the contours at the flares.

Further I extend the area under the reflector for mounting there

After checking fit on the car, I back-chiped (correct word?) the connection areas and add a few layers from outside. The reason is to get better strenght and avoid mark-ups at the seams

Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
After one week at the painter, here is the final result

The extension of the bumper is 20mm backwards, which gives a better lock and most important, more room for the RarlyL8 muffler

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Nice job and it looks like you found some German fiberglass like Porsche used for the top layer.
I havn't seen that nice fiberglass cloth weave since I worked at a porsche racecar restoration facility back in the mid eightees.
You also have a layer of kevlar/carbonfiber cloth and a small layer of carbonfiber cloth in your composite layup.

They would often use a strip of carbon fiber cloth sandwiched in with the glass for more strength at the edges where bodywork came together.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Nice job and it looks like you found some German fiberglass like Porsche used for the top layer.
I havn't seen that nice fiberglass cloth weave since I worked at a porsche racecar restoration facility back in the mid eightees.
You also have a layer of kevlar/carbonfiber cloth and a small layer of carbonfiber cloth in your composite layup.

They would often use a strip of carbon fiber cloth sandwiched in with the glass for more strength at the edges where bodywork came together.
Well, I used epoxy system L instead of somehow polyester. Glass is a very common type, easy to drape
I buy my fiberglass stuff here: suter swiss composite group

They have a very good PDF for downloading to get an overview to the theme. Very huge amount of products, helpful people there. They also sell a lot of aero certified stuff. Mine is same quality, just no certifications and thus cheaper

The carbon and kevlar layers are for more strength in that area, because I made the bumper attached to the chassis there

Last edited by proffighter; 06-28-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Well executed composite work Roland. I notice this one has the full license plate recess which seemed to simplify the curve. The licence plate lights are cool. Are those Hella or anything special? Also the original bumper you had was made by who?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Brian

Thanks. The lights are from a Raco dumper, which is made by the company I work. Don't think they are available in the US. I will check the brand tonight...

The original bumper? If you mean the at the beginning of the thread, this was from Betterbodiesmotorsport, some kind of Strosek copy. If you mean the one I adapt now, it's made by: MRS-DESIGN-SHOP

Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Nice work!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Profighter, I love the shade of blue.
Blues my favorite color, Keith, nice work on your red machine.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: