Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need 993tt brake advice

OK guys, I want to upgrade the brakes on my '88 930 with 993tt engine. I know the fronts should be real 993tt calipers, but what should the rears be? Any ternatives appreciated also.
Thanks,
RD
Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

PM Bill Verberg, he is the brakes god here.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRD View Post
OK guys, I want to upgrade the brakes on my '88 930 with 993tt engine. I know the fronts should be real 993tt calipers, but what should the rears be? Any ternatives appreciated also.
Thanks,
RD
Depends on exactly what bias ratio you're looking for. Optimal is purely subjective and is also influenced by many things - type of driving (AX, DE, rally, Street), suspension, tires, LSD - to say nothing of personal preference.

993TT front with 965 4-pot (C2 turbo) rears would give a bias comparable to 930 stock (1.6:1), whereas 993 RS would be slightly more rear-biased. TT rears have tiny pistons and would be very front-biased (around 2:1). Not such a big deal if you have ABS - which 930's don't.

I don't really see any practical need to upgrade 930 brakes unless it's for high-speed track use. In which case, you might as well ditch the booster and go to manual brakes (more feel, better modulation, higher pedal pressure) and a dual master-cylinder setup with an adjustable bias balance bar. By selecting the M/C for the rear circuit individually, you can dial in precisely the bias you want (and adjust it dynamically with the bar if desired).

Last edited by spuggy; 08-01-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

^^^ +1 On the street, it's overkill, but for the track when you're really pushing it, they are nice to have. My Big Reds have turned into Big Maroons from all the brake dust over the years...
Old 08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: