Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Abuser

Hot positive barrtey cable

I was just wondering how hot the positive cable should be after runnung the car for a while.I have been chasing a small drain on the system after shut down that I think is related to the LM-1 that I have hard wired to the system.After shut down I am un hooking the positive cable to prevent the drain and have noticed that the cable is hot to the touch.It may have always been this way and I am only noticing now because of the other issue.Any thoughts? The system is charging normally otherwise.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've never noticed any cables getting hot, but that would lead me to think there is some resistance in there some where. Possibly from a loose connection at the battery, starter or alternator.

What would happen if if the insulation was worn and it was just BARELY grounding out?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I've never noticed any cables getting hot, but that would lead me to think there is some resistance in there some where. Possibly from a loose connection at the battery, starter or alternator.

What would happen if if the insulation was worn and it was just BARELY grounding out?
I would agree with checking/cleaning/tightening up the connections mentioned, as well as the negative ground side.

As far as insulation barely grounding out, well....consider what your welder set on DC does. With all those amps available in the battery just waiting to find a ground - even a weak one - a small arc would almost instantly weld itself to ground. Then, you want to talk SMOKIN' hot cables! Ground out a battery and you can get instant 150+ amp draw.

I guess next time I drive mine, I'll have to see how hot my positive cable gets. Might just be normal for these cars for all we know.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

I just cleaned the positive cable at the starter and trans to body ground.Removed negative cable completly and cleaned cable and all attaching cables and body mount for cable.Cleaned positive cable and the attached red factory wires.Nothing was loose or that dirty . there was a little corrosion on the negative wire where it attaches to the body but nothing extreme.The trans to body ground strap is questionable as it looks a little scruffy but I cleaned it up and it looks like copper again.Started car and checked charging system and the car is only charging at 13.54 volts at idle and does not go up with rpm's.With the lights on it is only 13.28. I replaced the alternator last summer but wonder if it needs another one.I know spec should be around 13.8. Would you suspect that the alternator is bad or is this a servicable range? I am also running a odyssey pc 925 battery that is very small and wonder if this may be a cause for the low readings.I will go for a little drive tonight and see if the cable remains warm after the cleaning.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

How much current are you drawing? Throw a clamp-on ammeter on the cable and see what the amp draw is with everything turned on and everything turned off. Also, what gauge wire do you have for the battery?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

All battery connections and wire are factory. I will need to get a ammeter as I dont currently have one. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Did you clean and tighten the pos wire on the starter? The power runs from the alternator to the starter to the battery
Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

My alternator and battery were both still under warrenty so I replaced them both yesterday. Checked my readings and it is charging correctly now. Positive cable is cool to the touch after running so my guess is that it may have been over charging at upper rpm's causing the hot cable.Put about 300 hard miles on her yesterday after the repair and everything is still working correctly!! Thanks for all the help.......Ben
Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: