Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MagnaGrafik

Garage
Gulf Racing Livery on my 930: Feedback

With Waynes permission, I show you another in a series of famous liveries I have designed for 911/930 series cars. This time it is the Gulf Racing stripes which originally appeared on John Wyer's 908/3's in the early 70's. I offer these in magnetic and vinyl to anyone who is interested at MagnaGrafik.com. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Dan

Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
close up

Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixxi View Post

Looks great! By any chance you have "warsteiner' decals/livery
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF27 View Post
Looks great! By any chance you have "warsteiner' decals/livery
Not yet. But I'm open to suggestions. My next alcohol livery was going to be Jagermiester. Shoot me a PM and we'll discuss. Thanks, Dan
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Thanks Dan, I'll send you PM with my email adress and what I am looking for, soon as I scan damn beer label from a bottle
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
Barenjager would be a really fun one as well!
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

MagnaGrafik

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoats View Post
Barenjager would be a really fun one as well!
I agree. Any of the Germanic brands would be cool. Lowenbrau, Spaten, Heineken...etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixxi View Post
I agree. Any of the Germanic brands would be cool. Lowenbrau, Spaten, Heineken...etc.
Heineken is from the Netherlands!!!

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dan,

Nice work.. and I will be contacting you soon about the Gulf livery. I have a DE/Track car? build going on and it will be done in Gulf colors... well sort-of as I have decide to alter the Gulf Blue.

I had been toiling over painting the stripes or using vinyl.. but you may have just answered this.

What's the installation process like, and how many mil thickness? I would also need enough to extend over the decklid/spoiler and rear bumper. Cost?

Thx,

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Dan,

Nice work.. and I will be contacting you soon about the Gulf livery. I have a DE/Track car? build going on and it will be done in Gulf colors... well sort-of as I have decide to alter the Gulf Blue.

I had been toiling over painting the stripes or using vinyl.. but you may have just answered this.

What's the installation process like, and how many mil thickness? I would also need enough to extend over the decklid/spoiler and rear bumper. Cost?

Thx,

Paul
Hi Paul,

I think for a track car it makes more sense to go with vinyl vs. paintwork. The obvious reason is if you have a shunt (God forbid) you can peel off the old vinyl and put a new set on a lot easier than paint. The other thing about the high quality vinyl is the finished product looks like paintwork. I just finished a GT3 with Martini stripes and they look painted on. See attached photo. Cost will depend upon how elaborate you want to get with the striping and decals. It shouldn't be difficult to find a good install guy in your area. There are several options regarding the various Gulf liveries. I am pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to replicating historic liveries. Feel free to e-mail me at utopia@cinci.rr.com.
Thanks, Dan
Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback & I'll be in touch via email as we get closer to that time. We haven't made it to that point as yet.. behind schedule as usual.

Car will be streetable (barely) but the vinyl option does make sense considering.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
rear shot

Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

my 2 cents. . . needs a Gulf blue border about an inch thick or inch and a half. just MO
Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
The original stripes were bordered in black. I learned in design school if you want something to "pop" add a black background.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yep. . .you did an original design.. Yes it looks good with a black border on Gulf blue car. . .but on white, i dont think its looks as good as it "can" look. but as you know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
I think putting a light blue boarder as you descibed would look good. It would tie in the traditional Wyer livery on my white car. I am finishing up a set of these stripes in the light blue/black combo to go on an orange RSR. You're welcome to check them out at: magnagrafik.com
Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Over the years I have joined in on discussions relating to "GULF" colors.
As I see it you can go one of two ways. If you paint your car with Porsche Gulf Blue and Porsche Gulf Orange you will have a car that doesn't match Wyer Team “Gulf Racing” colors.

Remember Wyer was racing GT40 Fords before Porsche contracted them.

When I painted my son's car to Wyer Racing Livery I selected the colors. I first investigated Porsche Gulf blue. Immediately it became obvious this is the wrong color. I selected Porsche polar blue. Next I shot Porsche Gulf orange and it was too pale. I reshot with Chrysler Orange minus black tint.

Later I was looking at a mid 60’s color chart for Ford trucks and the “GULF” colors were there.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
MagnaGrafik

Garage
My quest to determine the proper colors used by John Wyer led me to the paddock at the Monterey Historics in '98. Two 917K's and a 908/3 painted in the Gulf livery were parked side by side. Each produced three different shades of light blue and orange. Individually, the differences in color were not overly obvious. It was only when they were side by side did I take note of the differences. I must admit, the color variance did not detract from the powerful presence eminating from these amazing cars. Dan
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I like the #25 colors. thicker black outline and that shade of orange make it look meaner in some way. Wouldn't want to see that in my rear view mirror coming at me in the Muslanne Straight or bankings of Daytona
Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

+1 on #25

Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: