Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Here's my email pcampbell56@cfl.rr.com, if anyone wants to send tuning info/data, for the MS that would be great.

drmatera - Did you use the DIY system or the factory built MS unit?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Regarding the DIY Megasquirt: I've done business with DIY Autotune on two MSII units. They do great work either putting together a kit of parts or putting together a finished unit. Here's a link: DIYAutoTune.com

I wouldn't recommend building it yourself unless you've done some electronics before. In terms of difficulty, I'd rate it as moderate. The Techedge WBO2 actually felt a little more difficult because of the density of the soldering.

I'd also endorse the use of TunerStudio to set up the tune quickly on the MegaSquirt. As Darin Matera notes, the Porsche/MegaSquirt community is very generous with sample tuning profiles. This reduces the need for tons of dyno time unless you are tweaking for ultimate performance. My comments assume that you also have a wide band O2 device to feed air/fuel data to MegaSquirt.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)

Last edited by mppickett; 08-15-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Beginner question but.....If these systems are just look-up tables is the content in the tables basically the same....can the tuning data/info from one system be entered into the tables of another system/
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
Beginner question but.....If these systems are just look-up tables is the content in the tables basically the same....can the tuning data/info from one system be entered into the tables of another system/
Yes, pretty much. Sometimes you have to do some extrapolation to rescale the table values. For example, my tables run up to 1.1 bars of boost. If you want to run less boost, you might need to estimate some values to get started.

One other thing, since few of us use the same size injectors (I use 50lb units for example), the fuel tables are good start points. You'll need something like the TunerStudio software to ensure that your actual air/fuel ratios match with your target table values. The ignition advance table is a bit more straightforward, although mine is setup for dual plug. If someone's running single plug, values will need to be adjusted.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

If my system runs without a wideband O sensor..and has been already extensively tuned is their any benefit to adding this sensor or does it just become a gauge to track afr
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

IMO the AFR sensor is the most important part of any tunable car. And if its already been tuned having the AF gauge is as important to monitor the engine and FI system, becasue injector clog and you will notice it in dirvability, idle and AF reading. The last racecar i worked on i put 8 sensor on, one on each hedder tube. (it was NA) and i even used one to tune a 2 cycle race kart!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

R.I.P.

I buy my MS stuff from DIYautotune built and ready to go for my specifics. It's a small price to pay if your not an electronics GEEK.

The great thing about keeping a wide band in the system is it gives the software the ability to tune on the fly. MS has a VE tuner that works very well. However it can only run while a lap top is attached to the MS. So once your tune is nailed down you can then activate "ego correction" . That will help adjust for the days conditions without actually changing the tables. It's like having your cake - and then eating the guys cake next to you

BTW. I am not Gene Simmons, so drop the Dr.

Darin R Matera
Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Darin gives great advice. On virtually any system you're trying to tune, you'll have better drivability and performance if you've got a wide band O2 monitor and some tuning software that you can use periodically.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: