Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to the_webbster
creaking/scraping sound from rear corner - ideas?

Hi All.

I have recently picked up a strange, intermittent creaking/scraping sound from my rear left corner. particularly audible at low speeds and associated with bumps and right hand turns with a bit of G. definitely not engine related as it goes away at idle, stand still. Does not either seem to be related to brakes as braking does not effect the sound at all.

I know it's hard to decipher sounds and their sources based on a description but does anyone have any idea where I could look to find the cause of this? I did have the car on a gravel parking lot yesterday (I know, I know...) to shoot some photos by the beach but otherwise its all dry asphalt for my baby. Could I have picked up a stone? if so, where?

Car is an original-ish '79 930.

thanks,
jw

Eisblau 1979 930

Silver '08 Honda Ridgeline
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Could be a small rock in the emergency brake hub/shoe. Next time you hear it, try gently pulling up on the emergency brake lever...see if it gets worse or goes away.

Of course, other possibilities are a wheel bearing going bad (and getting loaded by side-forces with right hand turn G's), and maybe a CV joint (but it doesn't sound like that's it).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Could also be the rubber bushing on the springplate has finally cold flowed or squished down from the weight of the car on it all these years to the point where the outer diameter of the spring plate splined shaft is rubbing on the 4 bolt cover that holds it on the torsion bar and in the torsion bar tube.

All 911's with the stock origonal rubber spring plate bushings have squished down by now and are off center to the point of almost touching or touching and rubbing the top of the hole in the cover.

Same goes for the stock front rubber control arm bushings.
They will eventually collapse from the weight of the car on them to the point where the front torsion bar will scrape on the inside of the front control arm as it pivots over bumps.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to the_webbster
thanks for the input guys.

it definitely sounds like a small stone in a place it shouldn't be. that is also most likely the problem with the easiest solution so I'm hoping that's it!

as far as the bushings, the noise also occurs on smooth surfaces without suspension action. it also started really suddenly.

I do, however, also have a non-metalic knock sound from the rear right corner associated with square/harsh bumps. the best suggestion I've gotten for that one so far is a shock bushing. any thoughts on that one?

The scraping is definitely more urgent though as it's audible from outside the car, although not at 5000rpm with the wastegate wide open

Eisblau 1979 930

Silver '08 Honda Ridgeline
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
If your car is stock and still has the factory rear sway bar, I would look for a cracked or broken rear sway bar mount. Common problem with the weak factory 930 rear mounts.
Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
MEMBER # 930

Take a look at your oil tank grab a hold of the btm of tank and wiggle look at mounting strap , it wraps around a round bracket and bolts to the tank 10mm i have had 2 of these broken on my cars . Some times the 2 rear heat exchanger 90 degree ellbow bolt comes loose enough to make rattle klunk noise .
Hope things work out for you .
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: