Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 oil / additive inquiry

just looking for some relative guidence on the correct pursuit of oil for my baby,an 84 3.3. the engine has just reached her first 1k after a rebuild and time for the valve adjustment and oil change. lot of discussion on additives to keep wear down,i.e. zddp i believe. i do plan on running synthetic @ least 15/50w. i do have the lubro moly product mos2 anti-friction treatment. would this be a correct addition to the oil in order to keep engine at it's best ? any suggestions would be appreciated. this pelican sight is so informative as well the sharing is second to none. kudos to all of you who help those such as myself in the true appreciation of what is and continues to be with not only porsche but the 930. regards,george
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IMO no additives are needed with a proper built engine. Frequent oil changes, with the right oil, works better than any additive.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
You're going to get a LOT of opinions, here's mine........

50/50 blend of Mobil 1 V-Twin and Mobil 1 20-50W.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Additives are bad.
The oil in your engine handles three requirements and only three requirements:
1. It keeps the metal parts from touching each other, sometimes under extreme pressure (cam followers) and other times under extreme speeds (rings). There is also a sealing function but it is similar to keeping the metal pieces apart by fluid tension.
2. It cools the engine by pulling heat away from the metal and carries the heat to the cooler.
3. It captures and traps contamination and combustion by-products for the oil filter to remove or to stay in suspension until you change the oil.

If you use an oil of the proper viscosity for your climate or a multi-vis oil, you will be fine with #1. Some folks like the additional levels of zddp in SOME of the off-the-shelf oils as WERK listed above. You need to trust others or find out for yourself if you are; first - buying into this, and second - which oils have the higher levels of zddp (the thinking is 1000-1200 ppm is sufficient for our non-roller cam engines).

Almost any oil will handle requirement #2 as long as you do not abuse the oil and ask it to live in the 280-300 degree range for extended periods. The synthetics are a bit better in this area.

Almost any oil will capture and hold contaminants until the next oil change, the caveat is if you abuse #2 above, then all bets are off because the chemistry of the oil may have been broken down by the higher temps. Some oils have higher detergent levels than others and you need to decide if you need this in your application. Unless you race, drive home along a 10-mile dirt road, or religiously change your oil every 10,000 miles, you probably are fine with most off-the-shelf oils.

My opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 08-13-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I like WERKI's - no additives - just good motor oil.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks to all who gave here and in less than 24 hours. these opinions and suggestions i consider to be real world experience by you who have done their homework and offered to those like myself the results. a great group of gentleman. i hope to return the same with time as my experiences grows. thank you ,george
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: