Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Alternator bearings

Hi fellas.

I have come to the point where i need to adress a small problem. After changing my fan belt, it`s still loose even with all 6 shims out. The belt has throw in it and the fan hits the fanhousing slightly making a high pitched sound and scratch on the lower part of the housing.

I`m assuming the alternator/fan bearings is gone. Will the link below be same for my `79 930?
DIY Alternator bearing replacement

Or anyone else got a better idea maby?

TIA
Oheggem
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Have you removed all the shims or just moved them to the outside of the pulley half? Placing them on the outside of the pulley half forced the pulley up and tighter.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I read to just move them inside or outside. They are all on the outside. I did the whole process with the change. Just never got it tight enough to stop if from wobbling (if that is even a word?). I put 2 and 2 together when i saw the scratches on the lower part of the shroud.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
No fan belt adjustment in the world will correct for the fan-to-housing clearance issue.
Your bearings may be dead, but your alternator may simply have come loose from it's mount to the housing. I just can't see the alternator still working if the bearings are that far gone. Either way, you need to take it apart to see, best of luck.
Mark

Last edited by full quack; 08-20-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

As the previous post suggested, verify that the alt. is not loose in the fan housing, Also check the condition of the housing itself, Lately have seen several defective units in customer's cars, This recent one had all four legs cracked, showing the same scrape marks you describe, The problem is that it is a magnesium casting (no repair), very hard to find good used ones,

Lou/ AERO DYNAMICS

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
will check this out today. i`ll try to take some pics too as any thread is worthless without them

Thanks again
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: