Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
clutch help

Took my car (1985/930) for a ride this morning and the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there.I was near my mechanic so i took the car in.We took a look at it and it what not the cable. So it looks like the engine and tranny gotta come out,since its out I'm thinking of change the the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. Should i use Stock or something more high performance?
(car has SC cams,headers,power haus muffler,k27hf turbo and a b6 inter-cooler)
Stock clutches set ups are good for how much HP

Old 08-21-2010, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Did you check the roll pin on the pedal assembly?
If the roll pin breaks the pedal will go to the floor as you describe.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
yes we did . thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The stock spring centered clutch is good for about 400 HP I believe. Over that, I'd get a KEP stage one or two. Same price, just a lot more clamping power for the stage two.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
the engine and tranny are out the throw out bearing is in pieces and the clutch is down to the rivets. My mechanic recommends the stock clutch kit ,less chatter easier on the clutch leg ? Kep are great for the power how are they in day to day traffic?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The KEPs are stiffer but you get used to them. If you don't have massive HP, the stock sprung centered clutch is good.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Porsche Crest

A broken spring on the pedal assembly or gearbox? Or release bearing fork issue?

This is the point with the clutch you can really wake up your turbos responsiveness be reducing rotating mass. This makes a world of difference on all levels.

I recommend using the pressure plate cover from the 76-77 Turbo. These are the lower profile and lightweight aluminum option produced by Sachs. Because it is lower profile the starter ring gear and release bearing need offset. Motorsport Design developed the billet stainless steel release bearing extension that fits into the oem release bearing. Then, the starter ring gear spacer is a lightweight machined aluminum extension. TurboKraft would have this set and some experience with everything in-between.

KEP Stage I works great but the pedal stiffness is a pain in my opinion. KEP Stage I is rated at 600ft tq with the stock disc...stage II is even more drastic.

76-77 Pressure Plate: 930 116 021 00 - The sachs RUF type can be used too but spendy.
Sachs Sport, sprung-hub disc: 88 1861 999 615

Happened to have this photo of the used set laying out. Disc was just renewed.

Hope this option helps...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I don't know guys, but I couldn't be happier with my KEP Stage 1. I really don't feel that the clutch is all that much stiffer...or I've become used to it. Initially, I did notice it being "touchier"...requiring a bit more finess. But it (and I) are now broken in with what....3 years on it now? It's a great setup.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to cut in, but as your clutch failed were there any other symptoms ?

Mine just went to the floor as well a couple of day ago. The only thing is there was not noise and the clutch still grabbed so I drove the car in 2nd gear about 5 miles at different speeds just to get home. Bought a new cable and it measured about 3/4 inch shorter than the old one. Could this be stretched ?

TURBO = Free Power
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
you could have stretched the cable or broken a strand and it stretched. I have had cables do this on my VW bus with the same symptoms of clutch pedal suddenly dropping to the floor.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
A broken spring on the pedal assembly or gearbox? Or release bearing fork issue?

This is the point with the clutch you can really wake up your turbos responsiveness be reducing rotating mass. This makes a world of difference on all levels.

I recommend using the pressure plate cover from the 76-77 Turbo. These are the lower profile and lightweight aluminum option produced by Sachs. Because it is lower profile the starter ring gear and release bearing need offset. Motorsport Design developed the billet stainless steel release bearing extension that fits into the oem release bearing. Then, the starter ring gear spacer is a lightweight machined aluminum extension. TurboKraft would have this set and some experience with everything in-between.

KEP Stage I works great but the pedal stiffness is a pain in my opinion. KEP Stage I is rated at 600ft tq with the stock disc...stage II is even more drastic.

76-77 Pressure Plate: 930 116 021 00 - The sachs RUF type can be used too but spendy.
Sachs Sport, sprung-hub disc: 88 1861 999 615

Happened to have this photo of the used set laying out. Disc was just renewed.

Hope this option helps...

how much more responsive is the lightweight set up you show? I know the stock flywheel/pressure plate assembly in my 79 930 takes forever to react to throttle blips. I had a 911SC by comparison which revved really freely so looking for a comparison between these 2 (dont know if you have ever driven a 911SC). Is there any negative effect on the turbo boost threshold or driveability by reducing the mass here.
thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
the only symptoms was the clutch pedal got soft at high rpms. I don't know if that had anything to do with the failure of the throw out baring.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
how much more responsive is the lightweight set up you show? I know the stock flywheel/pressure plate assembly in my 79 930 takes forever to react to throttle blips. I had a 911SC by comparison which revved really freely so looking for a comparison between these 2 (dont know if you have ever driven a 911SC). Is there any negative effect on the turbo boost threshold or driveability by reducing the mass here.
thanks,
Fred
The only effect that maybe a negative for some people would be the transfer of vibration and harmonics in the cockpit. The common complaint is disconnect and lag. The responsiveness, engagement acceleration will have crisper feel. Generally you will feel more connected and engine acceleration will quicken. The boost will come on sooner with reduced turbo lag. It won't add hp but converts that energy into motion you can use. Also still very easy to drive. Feels like 50hp. I would go for it.

I used to machine the release bearing and starter ring extension parts when I worked at MODE. Vary familiar with the parts.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you're going to drive one of these old turbos you have to put up with some clutch effort. After all, everything else about the car requires some effort.

KEP stage 1 PP with a stock spring-damped disk is my vote.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: