Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil suggestions

getting ready to put my girl back on the road after her first valve adjustment post 1200 mile break-in and just wanted recommendations for what is best to run. just had turbo rebuilt. rebuilder said not all synthetics are created equally. he suggested 10-40 or 15-40 amsoil or syn.shell rotella and definitely not mobil 1 due to high amount of rebuild using 15-50 mobil. anyone with luck as to motul,lubromoly or redline? what do you think? regards,george

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
George,
I would like you to ask your rebuilder for some specifics on the "high amount of rebuild using 15-50 mobile." I have not heard of any engine needing a rebuild simply because of the brand of oil used, however, I may be wrong. FYI, Mobile 15W-50 has the same or more of the high pressure lubricant ZDDP than many other oils, synthetic or dino.

If it is a case of not changing the oil often enough, or a catastrophic failure, then I would understand. Also, I realize owners are not always trustworthy when explaining the cause of the symptoms to the mechanics.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When in Europe, I used Mobil 1 - because it's still a full synthetic over there (whereas it hasn't been in the US for years, apparently).

On this side of the pond, I use Shell Rotella T Heavy Duty - most diesel motors see pressures and temperatures that normal gas engines would just wad up like tin foil under. According to the mega-oil thread on the 911 board, this has acceptable levels of ZDDP and boron.

YMMV.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mobil 1 15-50 in all my cars, sorry...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Recently tried VR1-Valvoline racing oil 20w-50-- (On sale/too expensive )--The pour looked like a 10w40...I found it strange..I've always used other 20w50's and mobil 1 15w50.

It always to took me 2-3 cranks with a 20w50....But not with VR1- Very happy for now..Plus I don't have to refill my oil tank as much as before.

In the future will try Mobil Delvac-1300-15w40..Heard it has high zinc count.

Walt
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
SL oil required...

Those 15W-40 Delavc's and Delo as well...NOT the right oil for your 911, especially your Turbo.

If you can't afford 5W-40 Castrol Syntec, then go with 20W-50 straight Castrol. BOTH make the SL rating, which your engine needs.

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

5w-40 in 930/911 turbo is a big NO NO. INMOP.

15w-40 delvac is perfectly fine. INMOP.

Castrol 20w50 says SL Rating---but has low zinc count...Chk out bob the oil guy forums.
They are getting cheap with their ingredients..

GL!

;
Old 08-31-2010, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There is a mondo-huge thread on this topic started I think several years ago. You will need at least a six pack to get through the whole thing. A tremendous amount of info with links to more info with links to even more info. Much discussed and debated....

Me, I focus on ZDDP content and stay with 20/50 dino oil and change it every year regardless of miles driven. If not that, then I would go with full synthetic.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I know there have been extensive posts on oil, but after reading pages of information and links, I am still not sure which oil would be best for a newly rebuilt 930 motor...anyone recommend a breakin oil? And then which oil would you advise to use after breakin?
I have used Castrol gtx 20-50 in my 911s for years, but am considering switching to Brad Penn or Swepco...I have not been a big fan of synthetics, but am not sure which to use in a turbo application. Any advise would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Don
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hello, One aspect of oil selection is the belief that we still need a "break-in oil" ,

Try to remember when you last saw a new car, motorcycle etc. that required a break-in oil, In todays almost universal use of nickel silicon plated bore surfaces the need for increased friction during the running-in period is being questioned by many engine builders,

When we put engines back into service after a overhaul we use Brad Penn 20w 50
, And on turbocharged applications Mobil1 V-twin 20w50, I.E. the oil that the engine will be using during it's service life.

There is a abundance of information on Lubricating oils and tribology so I know it can be confusing, The above recommendations are based on our own experience not only overhauling Porsche engines but also aircraft piston engines.

In closing, My best advise during the break-in process centers on; 1-Incremental max. rpm increase, 2- Temperature control (avoid running the engine under conditions that will cause it to run at high temps) , follow this for 500 miles.

Best luck with your engine,
Regards,Lou / AERO DYNAMICS

Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: