Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Valve adjustment woes.

Argggh...... trying to do a valve adjustment this evening and the nut and slot on the screw for valve #4 got "bunged up" and ended up wrecking the screw. I have to line up to pull the rocker with motor in the car. Total horses..t. Anybody else have these good times? And if so did you find the rocker easy to yank ? how tight to tighten the allen key bolt to tighten the shaft in place ?

TURBO = Free Power
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm confused as to why you are removing or trying to line up the rocker? Is the screw piece totally shot? If so, why not just replace that piece?
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Sounds like the threaded part of the elephants foot is beat and needs to be replaced. You might be able to loosen the shaft, move it over just enough to thread out the elephant foot and reinstall a new one. Never tried it, so YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark '87 930 View Post
I'm confused as to why you are removing or trying to line up the rocker? Is the screw piece totally shot? If so, why not just replace that piece?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Put a 5mm hex key in one end of the rocker shaft and a 6mm in the other end. Loosen the two wrenches against each other. The rocker shaft will likely be very tight against the cam tower yet it should slide out. You do not say which shaft this is. Pay attention as you pull the shaft out. One side of the cam tower opening will be larger than the other.

You do not have to remove the rocker shaft. Just slide it far enough over to pull the rocker. Once the rocker is out, simply unscrew the elephants foot and replace. When you put the rocker back in, use a feeler gauge slipped between the rocker and the cam tower. When the feeler gauge drops into the slot for the rocker shaft you have reached center. Then tighten the shaft using your two allen keys.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes the threads appear to be shot on the elephant thread screw and as a minimum need a new screw and nut. You say a feeler between rocker and tower surface, are we just looking for the same,whatever it is, as ong as both sides are the same ? Fortunately it is the intake number # so it is relatively easy to get at.

Thanks for the great feedback.

TURBO = Free Power
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mark,

Just as a thought you might consider trying the "backside adjustment technique" it's amazingly easy compared to the conventional method. Not that it would prevent what happened but not having to screw around with a screw driver, wrench, and feeler gage all at once makes the operation much easier.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
So after a further exam on the situation, i had to pull the rocker and shaft because not only did the screw and nut get cross threaded but so did the rocker threads as well. This was probably a god send though, since once I pulled the shaft out I discovered that the shaft was broken at one of the gaps, it would spin free as there were two separate pieces. Luckily a local pal had a matching spare rocker, shaft, screw, nut, and I was able to repair this with the motor in the car. Anybody else experience broken rocker shafts ? What would cause this other than being "old" ?

TURBO = Free Power
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

High revs caused by mech over revs?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have never seen the RED since i have owned it. Must be a weak point on these cars.

TURBO = Free Power
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Never heard of a broken rocker shaft, they are made from hardened steel. Likely someone once decided to "hammer" the rocker as a way to loosen some carbon/crud on the valve seat and got carried away.

Good catch.

Mark

Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: