Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
strut removal

I know this is a dumb question but do you have to remove the flexible brake line to get the strut insert out? just started the project and it's not looking like I can get it clear of the fender to slide it out. Also wondering if there are any tricks of the trade for getting the insert out, looks like they are orig to the car (84) and are not showing and signs of coming out easy.

Thanks Doug

Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Just unfasten the hard line from the caliper to the flex line at the strut. Once it's disconnected, there is a spring clip holding the flex line to the strut. Remove it and you should be good. Don't forget to bleed your brakes!

To remove your stut insert, you'll need to tilt the strut out from the fender. Then remove the cap on the top of the strut and the roll pin at the bottom. It should pull out, but they can be difficult if never done before.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
well easier said than done, the hard line to flex jount was almost corroded together finally got that apart with the vice grips after stripping the fitting. Is the cap on the top of the strut just screwed on? sorry I have never done this before and can't seem to find any complete info on it.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, it's screwed on. If you don't have a wrench that big (and who does) use a pipe wrench to get it off.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You should use line wrenches on the brake lines so you don't round off the points loosening ot rightening them. They're also called flare nut wrenches.

Big channel lock wrenches adjusted right and the handles squeezed tight work good on the big nut on the top of struts.
They leave a couple small marks on the flats of the nut if you're OK with that vs buying an expensive big open end.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have the Flare nut wrenches and still stripped it.

Okay just to be clear, I have the roll pin out and the big bolt that is in the front trunk off and have slid the top dust cover off the top of the strut. Now there shouldn't be anything else to remove, just yank it out. Hopefully.......
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You'll have to compress it to get it past the fender lip. Might have to loosen the sway bar link as well to get the control arm to go low enough.

Think about replacing the brake lines while your in there if they're buggered up.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta 930 View Post

Okay just to be clear, I have the roll pin out and the big bolt that is in the front trunk off and have slid the top dust cover off the top of the strut. Now there shouldn't be anything else to remove, just yank it out. Hopefully.......
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago... ended up buying new 'hard' lines for both sides from auto atlanta - they were about $16 each. Came in 4-days.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Quote de alta 930

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago... ended up buying new 'hard' lines for both sides from auto atlanta - they were about $16 each. Came in 4-days.
Even with the right tools those strip. Still trying to find the correct one for the left front on my 77 930.

WOW 4 days, my stuff from there takes 3 weeks. Most off of the stuff I order Pelican does not have available, NLA (honest)
but AA lists they have it, but really don't. Out of despiration I order it. Last order of 10 things I got three, PP had those anyway. Live and learn.

Last edited by dhg1337; 09-01-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I feel your pain........ believe me, I do...... My first front end refurbishing was painfull with the same type of questions... But it's not really that bad, just take patients and getting use to; however, there is not much room in there; but if you turn the hub in cetain direction the strut insert will come out... without streaching the brake lines. Be sure when reinstalling the insert, you install the roll pin facing "in".
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A good tip is to take wide masking tape and run it around the fender opening. This can prevent some nasty chips and scratches to the fender. FWIW

Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: