Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Joyless-drone people driving Porsche's?

Back when I got my 911 in 1999, other people in Porsches would also wave, flash their brights, or just say hello.

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice a snot-nosed behavior in other people driving Porsches(of all variants) in Southern California? Most remind me of angry-drones on autopilot, that bought their car for nothing more than owning a Porsche(like the guy who buy's a Cayenne that will NEVER see a lick of dirt).

I NEVER bought this car to get JQ Public's "validation". I bought it because it extremely fun to drive. I find it a shame to see so many sour-pusses on the road who own Porsches.

Last edited by Tilikum Turbo; 09-03-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've noticed in Colorado more people in older (air cooled) Porsches wave than in newer especially brand new ones. I've gotten lots of friendly hello's from people in older p-cars. I pulled up to someone at a red light in a brand new bright yellow Cayman S the other day and wanted to say, "nice cayman" to him. I was in my '85 Targa Turbo and he would not even look at me, just stared straight ahead w dark sunglasses on, looking like a douche bag. I felt so disappointed that someone who was obviously not a car guy would have that car, then I realized why I like my classic old school Porsche so much more than a modern one. I would like to have a new one too, but will always have a real driver's car and nothing beats an air cooled p-car.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice rant. But seriously who cares? So would you pay 60grand for a Cayenne and take it through the first mud hole and bump it on a tree or risk breaking suspension parts that could cost a good 10grand to fix it back up. Most people wouldn't. Ours was used and not that expensive but it sure has seen some dirt as it's been on off road camping trips but that's me. I would still rather take my 4runner as it's cheaper to fix and has more room in it.

It's probably just southern ca? Or is it because you have a targa top? Lol...

I typically don't wave to anything newer than 1998 because they never wave back anyways.

On behalf of all the non-wavers, here ya go..............
Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
The waving was lost long time ago in Puerto Rico..here it's a competition on who's got the latest. This was to the point that the old PCA members went away and the new PCA is pretty much 100% water cooled and if you bring an air cooled you cold be stared at. Ignorants....

But I won't let that take away my happy air cooled driving.....
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I don't give a **** anymore. I just drive it like its stolen and **** everyone else. I rev my straight pipe engine at the red lights and watch the old ladies cringe. **** 'em. When someone waves I wave back. if they don't, **** 'em, I don't care. I'm having fun and I don't need their waves to feel part of a community. I'm my own community. If they don't like my old, air cooled, oil leaking, impact bumper, loud exhaust turbo then they can kiss the back of my hand!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Back when I got my 911 in 1999, other people in Porsches would also wave, flash their brights, or just say hello.

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice a snot-nosed behavior in other people driving Porsches(of all variants) in Southern California? Most remind me of angry-drones on autopilot, that bought their car for nothing more than owning a Porsche(like the guy who buy's a Cayenne that will NEVER see a lick of dirt).

Just my 2-cents...

"..Cayenne that will NEVER see a lick of dirt..."

Lots of us here in the NW buy SUVs with absolutely no intention of ever taking them offroad. Wintertime adverse roadbed conditions are all the reason I need to buy a capable SUV, R/awd SUV. That, and maybe somewhat to get around the IDIOTS, FWD and/or F/awd, that have no clue how to drive on the slippery stuff.

At least the Cayenne no longer has the 4X4 low range, a step in the right direction IMMHO.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I don't give a **** anymore. I just drive it like its stolen and **** everyone else. I rev my straight pipe engine at the red lights and watch the old ladies cringe. **** 'em. When someone waves I wave back. if they don't, **** 'em, I don't care. I'm having fun and I don't need their waves to feel part of a community. I'm my own community. If they don't like my old, air cooled, oil leaking, impact bumper, loud exhaust turbo then they can kiss the back of my hand!
I like that! Cheers! It's how I treat my 64 vette. I drive it like it's stolen. It's loud, smelly, and punches holes in the atmosphere. I love it. I do get a lot of friendly waves and smiles here in TX. Come on over...with some luck my 84 will be on the road in October, but I'll be waving at them in the rear view mirror...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jeesh Mark, tell us how you really feel, ha!

I don't expect a wave or any type of recognition from new Porsche owners, I assume most new owners don't know alot about the cars other than they look cool and go fast. There's generally a big difference between new car owners and old car enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Jeesh Mark, tell us how you really feel, ha!
Just sayin' man

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I actaully get more waves from the new stuff than the older, although I noticed that the guys in the older impact bumper stuff don't seem to like turbos (they're jealous ).

I was coming up the hill to my house a little while back at wot, noticed a gt2 behind me, he stayed behind me (right on my bumper) the whole way even though i moved over to let him by, he stayed behind as a matter of respect. He let me lead all the way to our turnoff. Found out later it was the owner of Truspeed down here, cool guy, really respects our cars. I let them do my last wheel alignment and oil change...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 08-31-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

BMW 2002 owners used to flash their lights or wave too, back in the 70's and 80's.
Maybe they still do.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Most air cooled Porsche's around here will initiate or wave back if I wave.

The new stuff... They usually just stare straight ahead like an idiot at a red light...or as you pass them in the opposite direction. UNLESS, it's a GT3 type.. they usually "get it".
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Just got a wave tonight from a guy in a GT-2. No problems in the northeast
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
BMW 2002 owners used to flash their lights or wave too, back in the 70's and 80's.
Maybe they still do.
ha ha ha, bmw mini cooper owners do it now, it's cute....
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I try to wave and/or flash the lights. Some times I get it back. Sometimes I don't. I've even missed a wave/flash now and then because I'm not looking or recognize the newer Porsches.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
From one Mark to another....right on, bro'!!! Phuque 'em if they can't reciprocate a fellow enthusiast.

I think Brian hit the nail on the head with this: "There's generally a big difference between new car owners and old car enthusiasts".

Just yesterday on the way home from work (with brand new skins on the back, I might add, after last week's blowout), I saw a dude cruising through town in an old fully restored "bathtub". We both at least lifted a finger off the steering wheel in recognition of our fine rides. 'Course, I could have blown his doors off, but he definitely had the cool factor going for him. Anyway, I'm not out to impress anyone other than my own need for adrenalin. I feel bad....way bad....motoring down the road regardless of what people think. I learned a long time ago that how you feel about yourself is so much more important about how people feel about you. New Porsches are very nice, but somehow once Porsche stopped with the 930 the real sportscar marque died as well....but for those of us that proudly keep it alive. The new guys subconsciously drool, wishing they had the balls and wherewithall to own and maintain...of their own accord....one of our fine turbos.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage

Howdy Damnit!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

There is a "knowing" that goes with these old girls and you either understand it or you don't. It's a part of your soul. Those who don't understand never will and that's their loss.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Me like track days

Porsche has branched out into non-enthusiasts, bottom line.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I'd bet the guy in the GT-2 knows his s;it. That is a hard core car.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: