Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

This was kinda funny

I was up at the gas station filling up since its time to put the car away for the season (time to go to work) and I see either a cayman or a boxster I get confused one of those mid engined cars, anyway I am pumping gas and the owner of the car comes out and before he gets in the car he turns and gives me a long look no wave nothing just a look and then he gets in his car and with reving of the motor and knashing of gears he makes quite a spectical leaving the parking lot, lots of spinning his tires and going a little squirrely in the road before slamming on the brakes to stop for the light. Do we have that much of an effect on our little brothers?

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 09-01-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

You weren't like....looking down your nose at him or any such obscene gesture, or maybe you were taking up space at his personal gas pump. Could have been just a touch of "I have a newer car than you", thus the implication that he's wealthier and mondo-cooler. Eat my tire dust kind of dude, as he drives off with zero finness. God, I sure wish I were that cool.

Maybe he was late picking up his kids on his court ordered visitation schedule. There should be a ritual, a checklist, some sort of "right of passage" that all potential Porsche owners have to endure before claiming ownership.

Sounds like you handled it appropriately. There's no doubt; we know who the better person was. From me, at the very least he would have got the finger.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 09-01-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
it takes alot for me to sport the finger, i'd just be sure he saw me laughing at him, that sometimes have a better effect
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Since my bank won't let me convert these zim trillion dollar bills I'm holding onto, my enthusiasm is far greater than my finances and a turbo will be out of reach for a long time. So when I see anything aircooled I always wave, flashlights and do a mini bow of respect. Dudes like that though have way more money then brains..... How many gold chains was he wearing? But I still like my boxster bc I can ring it's neck around town and not get into too much trouble.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

LOL I was laughing but he didn't see it cause he was too busy trying to keep his car under control I will mention it was wet so the tire spin wasn't from raw hp I will admit I didn't get a good look at him other than I noticed he looked at me I really was looking at the car, they do have a certain beauty to them although I do like the 914 better, this is where these cars can trace their lineage back to right? At least a 914 was built so most 911 important parts bolt right on to make that mid engine car a track monster. I imagine he was suffering a little envy since I have all those neat things on there like big fat tires and wide flares, nice throaty sound from the motor and of course the whine from the turbo. He actually gave the same reaction that I get from the ricer rods around town except those guys know they can't get it done so they don't try, around here they are mostly all show and no go I went to a local car show and they were all lined up showing off the stereos and air compressors polished mufflers but I go look under the hood and its completely stock and DIRTY.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
it takes alot for me to sport the finger, i'd just be sure he saw me laughing at him, that sometimes have a better effect
The last time I sported the finger was when this young girl pulled out of the bank, she was on the phone looking the other way didn't even see me till it was nearly too late and she didn't even slow down much less stop before pulling out of the drive the look on her face was classic as she missed my bumper by less than a foot and all she saw was my finger.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Ok so I'm showing my age. Back in the day, sporting the finger was a universally accepted mode of comunication which fit many and all occasions. Old habits die hard.

I do get a kick out of the ricer crowd around here (mostly Hispanics), constantly wanting to engage me on the road and knowing they don't have a chance. Got their Honda's all souped up with nothing more than a large-bore noisey muffler with a twrilly-thing in the exhaust tip that's supposed to spin and make turbo-like whistling noises. Unfortunately their pride of ownership falls way short when I see (hear) them float the valves as they tach out the engine, with clouds of black smoke belching out the exhaust. But if that attracts the senioritas, then I say go for it dude!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Now you can get a ticket for "exhibition of speed", should you be able to get a ticket for "exhibition of stupid"????

Mark
Old 09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Now you can get a ticket for "exhibition of speed", should you be able to get a ticket for "exhibition of stupid"????

Mark
they would need to hire more cops
Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
most ricers around here are white guys... they are always trying to stick on my bumper - every once i a while i'll spool it up to let them know how stupid they are, love it when i can bust out a flame, they don't come close after that...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
A 'normal' 911 get's people blood warmed up...the Turbo get's a lot of emotional responses from others on the road.

There are usually two extremes...people tip-toe around(some will NOT even pass you)...and then there are the 'village idiots'. On the 60 freeway in Los Angeles, I was getting on the freeway, and out of 5 lanes, a Honda comes over 3 lanes from the left to go into the same merging on-ramp I am using to get on the freeway...JUST so he can not only block my path, but only to meet the same grid-lock traffic we were all in...PRICELESS moment when you just have to laugh at the stupidity.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

He just wanted to get a better look, I had a kid the other day run a stop sign and almost take my front bumper off just to tell me "nice car" I told him to wait his turn especially in a school zone (I was dropping my daughter off at school). I will admit since I did these major changes to the car it gets alot of more attention than the old look got, from the cops too sad to say.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: