Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

poorly fitting fg bumper, any ideas?

Rear bumper, bought used here on the board, never mounted and I think I see why. Terrible fit at the back, easily an inch of space beloew the light panel and the flares are way off. Seriously, who actually manufactures something like this and sells it as a part that fits? ( I do have some ideas, if I remember one of those places that wouldn't accept credit cards for our own consumer safety...) This is not even close... Any ideas? I really like the look of the shorter tail, anyone have any pics of this one finished? Thinking of carving up a 965 bumper and doing a little graft surgery to make up the gap.

Last edited by slyguy; 09-02-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Better bodies. Of course.

You don't like mexican horsehair plaster crapola? Tough. They only accept cash and have no return policy. So reselling it seems like the trick apparently.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The gap under the tail lights could be closed up using part of the stock 74-84 seal I think and as for the big gap under the reflector might be a good deal to vent some of that hot air from around the turbo you could fab up some expanded metal to make a grill that fits that hole as for the flares well that is just part of fitting FG parts they are never perfect unless you get some really high end parts. The old saying is "If you bodywork them they will fit."
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Or I have also seen 1 inch closed cell foam used to close up gaps.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Yeah some work to be expected but this is pretty bad. I'll likely eliminate the seal as they always seem to come undone anyways, it would just be hanging in the middle section. The foam intrigues me, although I still need to securely fasten the bumper somewhere in the back by the reflector which brings us to the original fit isseu. Just cut up some cardboard templates, the 965 bumper is going under the knife... Turbostein!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
According to this installation video, there needs to be fabbed some bolts that goes under the rear deflector.
YouTube - Porsche BBMD 930 turbo rear bumper install
1986 944 Turbo
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

Along with that video I would fab a heat shield to go between the turbo hot parts and the fiberglass or your paint won't last long I would think. I would still put some closed cell foam between the bumper cover and the tail light housing and the stock rubber welting between the flares and the bumper to keep your fiberglass from grinding away to nothing from vibration.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
According to this installation video, there needs to be fabbed some bolts that goes under the rear deflector.
YouTube - Porsche BBMD 930 turbo rear bumper install
HAHAHA! The real fit problem here is I don't have cool music pumpin in my shop space! Thanks for the vid! That actuall gives me a couple more ideas... Their piece seems to fit much better than mine...
Tom
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm pretty sure Hanz and Franz back at Porsche install the rear bumpers the same way...

How did BB fill in the gaps in their bumper. Oh wait, they showed the finished product from above so you couldn't see them...

What about some black mesh screen to fill in between the bumper and "Porsche" reflector?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Oh, and their little bumper brace extensions look like crap. Either make a new one to replace the entire brace or use a tube to fill in the gap between the brace and bumper with a longer bolt. Then paint it black.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
been there twice, i understand when you buy fiberglass parts, usually some work is needed to make them fit,..sanding, heating, filling holes, not cutting parts into 4-5 parts only to fibgerglass them back together,...

i have a 2004 sti with some fiberglass parts and carbon fiber parts and all of them FIT SPOT on with no work

1. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/555943-anyone-have-fitment-issues-renn-speed.html

2.http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/560580-another-renn-speed-fitment-issue-what-do.html

good luck, its a pain, but its worth it in the end i guess
Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
been there twice, i understand when you buy fiberglass parts, usually some work is needed to make them fit,..sanding, heating, filling holes, not cutting parts into 4-5 parts only to fibgerglass them back together,...

i have a 2004 sti with some fiberglass parts and carbon fiber parts and all of them FIT SPOT on with no work

1. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/555943-anyone-have-fitment-issues-renn-speed.html

2.http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/560580-another-renn-speed-fitment-issue-what-do.html

good luck, its a pain, but its worth it in the end i guess
My GT Racing and Getty bumpers fit within a 1/8 of an inch or so, just a little pressure and they were perfect.

Of course this was after I gave up on the Better Bodies front RSR bumper which simply would not fit over my oil cooler no matter how much I cut off of it. Eventually there was just a massive hole in the middle of the bumper from all my little trimmings and it still was not within an inch of fitting under my front bumper lip. Unreal.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I had that bumper on my car for about 10 years. Didn't know about an install video, we just used screws every 6 inches all the way around. It took a bit of manipulating but not bad. Very little prep work was needed. I don't have any heat shields or protection of any kind and all is well. This bumper has a huge amount of air space.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

That's exactly the shot I was looking for Brian! Should keep me motivated!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I really liked this bumper and long for the day I can put it back on. The large gap under the reflector lets out a LOT of hot air from the exhaust. That is likely one reason the bumper doesn't get too hot in regular street driving. It does get hot at the track but no melting paint.
I left the rubber bumper seal in place. It does not hang down along the large air gap area. There also is no impact protection, the bumper is simply bolted to the car. I lost something like 75 pounds off the ends of the car, can't remember the exact figure anymore.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

first two pics show how far out of whack the flares were. prob 8 hours total to get to this point, fit is much better!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The result is beautiful..

Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: