Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

Todd is correct.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
LOL, I've had my injector out several times for work and even with all of the heat soak I see, there has been no build up of material in the injector or the in-line filter using distilled water mixed with pure alcohol. I do have a checkvalve in place to prevent siphoning off boost that may increase evaporative deposits. An electronic solenoid type valve would be even better.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I think Jim's concern was with tap water leaving deposits. Even when I used parts store $0.99 washer fluid I saw no build up what so ever, but at 150psi it was sort of self cleaning

BTW, I ran the washer fluid when I didn't have an intercooler. It did have it's limitations compared to intercooler and WMI but it's much better than nothing
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Guys,

I only see one downside with WMI and that's if your counting on it to be the
answer to all your performance and detonation issues. DONT !!!!

My choice to install WMI was based completely on one thing ADDED
INSURANCE AGAINST DETONATION PEROID !!!!

After reading countless articles and forums, looking through all the vendor sites,
researching history, reading testimonials pro and con I have come to the
following conclusion.

1. WMI will lower head temps and will increase the octane level of the mixture
resulting in less of a tendency for detonation.

2. WMI is particularly advantageous when used in forced induction applications
where a propensity for detonation is prevalent.

3. WMI will, when used in forced induction applications, allow the use of higher
boost levels and added timing resulting in HP gains when tuned properly.

4. WMI systems should be sourced from reputable vendors with a proven
history of a quality product.

5. WMI systems, like any other product, can fail and when running boost and
timing levels that exceed the auto manufactures stock settings this can be
catastrophic.

6. Any WHM system used should include added failsafes that will dump boost or
retard timing with the loss of pressure, low fluid level, inadiquate flow rate,
clogging, or system power failure.

Excellent WMI systems are out there and they work well. There are numerous benifits to running WMI on a forced induction engine but also be aware of possible issues and safeguard against them. Its great insurance when installed and used properly.

As I said previously " Worst case if it doesn't work for you just change it to a Fairman Douche Bar for cooling your IC".

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-14-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Cole, nice breakdown.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I have been running water injection for a while on my turbo SC. I have it fairly well documented in this forum somewhere.
Pat

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Hi Cole, I hope it's reliable over the long run.

Like you said, gotta have the fail safe mode monitoring it.

Sorry I promoted negativity about adding things like that, I just like keeping things simple and should have kept my opinion to myself.

As far as occasionally spraying the intercooler with water mist to cool it when it's heat soaked, it wouldn't be much to rig up a way to do that with the headlight washer pump thats mounted on the side of the large windsheild washer bottle.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Darin,

Thanks for all your input and participation, that what make this work for all of us.

Pat,

Thanks for the heads up !!!! I'm going to search for it.

Jim,

Hey man !!!! I'm you biggest fan, in fact I read a lot of posts I wish you were participating in because they needed you. There is no one on this forum who's opinion I respect more. You are a wealth of practical experience and applied knowlege and are irreplacable. I always know I'm going to get the no BS, straight up facts and that's the way I like it. I didn't look at it as negativity , I looked at it as fact based on first hand experience and that is priceless. I sincerely thank you.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-14-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Water injector

Cole:
I am searching at the moment. Here is one discussion:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/425318-intercooler-vs-no-intercooler.html

In short, my system was built by a local Corvette guy; he does a lot of superchargers on Vettes. He builds a very nice system. We re-engineered it a bit for the SC application. I will drag up some pictures. You need to keep in mind that the SC induction system is different than the 930 system, so you need a single point to inject that will distribute to all of your cylinders. I'd guess somewhere just past your throttle body and butterfly.

I use the windshield washer resorvoir for the water, and ran rubber tube to the pump and back to the engine bay. Greg's system has triple interlock fail safes so you can't fill the engine up with water. You can see it at www.blowerworks.net. I run distilled water in mine, and as JFairman mentioned, clean the nozzle regularly. The Corvettes run what is basically a 4.0 GPH (gallon/hour) oil burner nozzle (they are so big!). I run a 1.5 GPH Delavan 80 degree hollow cone oil burner nozzle, which provides ample cooling, and will last for 45 minutes at the track without draining the tank.

One other thing is that my SC has no tail. It looks like a slow old 162 HP SC. Nice.

I am an engineer, and my belief is that it is hard to beat phase change as a means of cooling, especially when you are looking at an air to air unit, which has a high approach for cooling.

The hole to the left of the WUR is the bung for the nozzle. If you want to see some installed photos of the other components, let me know.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Pat,

Good stuff and nice work. There are a lot of SC Turbo guys on here that would probably love to see the installation. We can all use all the exposure we can get.

Cole
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Pat:

Have you had a chance to play with your knock controller?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

John,

I certainly would have been disappointed if you had not gotten in here someplace. Your like a relentless Sunday infomercial.

Let me help.

EVERYONE !!!!!

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR DETONATION KNOCK SENSING PLEASE

CONTACT MY GOOD FRIEND JOHN AT J & S ELECTRONICS

Cole
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Stranger on the Internet

John:
I mounted the sensors, and am putting the controller under the passenger seat. I haven't worked on the car much lately, but I am determined to get it back together soon. I've been spending too much time on the golf course!
Pat
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Snow Performance bought one for a project car last week.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

John,

That a good thing !!!!!

As always, love your tenacity and wish you nothing but the best !!!!

Cole
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

I appreciate that very much, and same to you.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: