Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil line help

I am finishing the rebuild of my 930 engine and I have aftermarket headers installed. I need to reroute the oil line from the block to the side thermostat and also the turbo scanvenger tank to the oil line leading to the oil pump on the front of the left cam.

Where can I get these lines? I can have them made but I was wondering the best route and materials to use. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can "backdate" and buy the 2 metal lines from an early seventies 911 that goes under the clutch bell housing and then back to the external thermostat and use them.

Pelican has them, but you have to look in the early 911 section.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info. Is that the BEST way or flexible stainless line? I've heard of people using SS lines as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Aircraft grade stainless braided line doesn't last forever and when used in aircraft and some race cars it has a stainless date tag crimped on near one end to show it's expiration date.
The rubber hose under the braiding eventually dry rots and you can't see when that has happened until it leaks, if you wait or have the car long enough.

Some of the premade stainless lines that come with short headers take sharp 90 degree turn in the hose right after the steel case fitting and I've seen some that are slightly collapsed where they make that bend or turn going to the passenger side of the car. That could restrict oil flow.

Anyway, if it is high quality line like aeroquip and installs with no tight bends the stainless line is less expensive than the 2 OEM lines and should work fine with no worries for 15 years or longer on a street car.
There is not alot of pressure or resistance to flow in the scavange line, external oil thermostat, and oil cooler circuit... the oil filter element at the end of it is about the only restriction to oil flow it goes through.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: