Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone running a dual-head 964 distributor?

Hey guys,

As the title indicates, is anyone running a dual-head 964 distributor? I'm running one currently and had trouble fitting it with my turbo carrera conversion. I'm running stock Carrera heat exchangers and a 930 J pipe. With my turbo mounted to the J pipe, there wasn't much room to snake the charge pipe around the 964 distributor, so we decided to modify the J pipe to make it work.

I'm at the point now where I'd like to upgrade to some aftermarket 930-style headers. Has anyone else attempted this? If so would you please post some pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Andy,

AFAIK the 964 dizzy takes up too much room. I have made quite a few twinplug dizzies for turbo applications. Sorry, I do not have pics of the dizzy installed into a motor.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURN-BROS View Post
Hi Andy,

AFAIK the 964 dizzy takes up too much room. I have made quite a few twinplug dizzies for turbo applications. Sorry, I do not have pics of the dizzy installed into a motor.
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your reply. What you've said seems consistent with the relatively small amount of information I've been able to find on the topic within the Pelican forums. When I expanded my search to include the rennlist board, I found an interesting thread from 3 years ago (started by Merv actually), in which a member relays the story of encountering a single turbo 911 with a 964 dizzy. Here's a copy of the post (found under the 930 forum with the title 'Pics of single turbo & 964/993 twin distributor?'):

"For anyone who doubts whether it's possible to install a 964 dual distributor for twin ignition on a single turbo 930 (with the turbo in the stock location), here's proof that it can be done. I saw a race car this weekend that had a Garrett single turbo, a custom IC, and a 964 distributor. I had heard that it was impossible to get the turbo up pipe to clear the distributor. The photo clearly shows that is not true.

Crankfire has its disadvantages; for those who prefer distributors (because a used distributor is often only $500, it allows only two coils instead of 6, easier/cheaper for CD ignition), here's proof that it can be done. If I was planning to use a distributor for twin plugging, I would much prefer this to the 12 pin RSR cap/rotor method, which is expensive and risky, given the fragility and rarity of the cap and rotor. I was told you can't do this. Wrong! Here it is. And the car ran near the front of a very fast race. "

I'd like to see some clearer pictures of this - especially with the bumper removed. I've contacted this fellow for more details.

911st tipped me off a couple years ago that the RUF RCT (Type 964 C2 conversion) ran a single turbo with the 964 dual head, twin plug distributor. I've validated that this is correct, but I'm not sure whether or not the RCT has the turbo mounted in the same location as the stock 930. I've begun contacting several folks who may be more familiar with the RCT setup, one of whom has already replied and is going to send to me pics tonight. A bit of a long shot but I also contacted RUF to see if the connection pipe they used is still for sale!

More to come...

Last edited by polizei; 09-15-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Our host carries a JB Racing twin plug dizzy with parts (cap and rotor) that are readily available. I want to say it's about $1500 plus the wires, but maybe you only need to buy one set. Make the set up a lot easier than a 964 with no disadvantage.

With the 964 set up, I would think you still need to add the vent mod to prevent belt beakage? My understanding is on the 964, if the belt breaks, it's bad news. Possible detonation, but not sure how this plays on a 930.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Our host carries a JB Racing twin plug dizzy with parts (cap and rotor) that are readily available. I want to say it's about $1500 plus the wires, but maybe you only need to buy one set. Make the set up a lot easier than a 964 with no disadvantage.
You're absolutely right, the JB Racing twin plug dizzy probably would have been a superior solution. The trouble is that I already have a 964/993 dizzy, an Andial Splitter (for Montronic EMS) & the customized cables. Plus, the rebuilt 964 dizzy is a third the cost of that JB Racing unit!

If it's possible to accomplish this, I'm just trying to capture how and what it looks like in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
With the 964 set up, I would think you still need to add the vent mod to prevent belt beakage? My understanding is on the 964, if the belt breaks, it's bad news. Possible detonation, but not sure how this plays on a 930.
Yes. It's a very quick 2 minute install. Porsche actually sells a ventilation kit which includes a clear rubber tube and a fitting to vent the dizzy thru the plastic shroud used to direct the air from the primary fan over the heads & cylinders.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes! It's been done.

The fellow named Rob who snapped the picture above that I got from Rennlist replied promptly to my email and shared a wealth of additional information and pictures concerning this topic.

Quote:
Yes, indeed, I found someone who had done it. The good news is that I am enclosing photos. The bad news is that he died! But fortunately, I think the photos tell the story sufficiently, so you might not need to talk to him, because that would be difficult now.

His name was Hima Maher. He was from Calgary, Alberta. He came to the ďRose CupĒ race at Portland International Raceway in June 2004. The photos show how he routed the charge air pipe around the 964 distributor. The intercooler was made by Bob Holcombe, of MODE, in Phoenix (who does fabulous work). I talked to Hima about it at the time, but I donít recall who made the modded charge air pipe. Judging from the photos, Iím guessing it was not Bob Holcombe Ė Bobís work is much cleaner than that. But no matter Ė it obviously worked just fine. Hima had a fast car and it was fun to watch. The engine may have been built by Holcombe; I canít recall. It was running a Motec engine management system. In any case, I was interested to see a solution to a problem others couldnít be solved.

My original thread about this was posted in June 2004 to the now-defunct Turbo 911 site that Stephen Kaspar used to sponsor. Thatís why you couldnít find it. But hereís the notice of Hima Maherís death.

Hima Maher (Riegel Tuning) killed in avalanche - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Here are the additional images that Rob passed along to me. Enjoy!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

RUF did move the turbo on the 964 to the side rear fender area.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
RUF did move the turbo on the 964 to the side rear fender area.
Thanks for the post!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: