Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
LED Tailamps for 1965-1989 Porsches...

Greetings all,
Several years ago, I bought LED turn signal and stop lights for my 92 Benz, but I sold the car.

I always admired how bright and instantaneous these newer bulbs looked, so I installed them on the back on my 911. They are MUCH better than stock units(and in terms of safety, the better people can see your car from behind at a stop light, the less likely they are to rear-end you(DOT testing mandated the rear-upper stop light after 1984, which reduced rear-end collisions at stop lights).

I have not hooked up a current meter to them, but my estimate is they draw significantly less current from the electrical system as well. Personally, I drive all the time with my parking lights on, regardless of bright sunshine. The better to be seen...the better to be avoided by people making those turns into traffic, or just missing you in the mirrors, shadows from tress, etc.

There not cheap, but for about a $25-40 investment, I believe they are well worth it. At the front of the car...not recommended, as they don't spread out the light as well as the older incandescents. Also, don't waste your $$$ on the reverse lamps...not used enough to warrant the expense.

If you are lucky enough to have an 85 and after car(US version), that upper stop-lamp is also a must do.

A total of 5 lamps for cars later than 85, and 4 pre-85 will do the trick. Take the two bulbs off of one side, and get two of each at just about any car parts place. They should last basically forever.

I'll post some photos if anyone is interested.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
Part numbers and manufactures contact would be helpfull
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
lets see a before / after shot. put the led bulb in the left socket, regular on the right, then do a day time picture and a night time picture to show the difference.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
Part numbers and manufactures contact would be helpfull
It was three years ago I bought the bulbs(and had removed them from the original package...I bought them at AutoZone, but see them now at virtually any major chain, such as Kragen, Pep-Boys, etc.

Simply take in the two bulbs from one side, match them and buy a set of two per side(or an extra stop-bulb if you have the upper rear-windshield setup for 85 and after)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie Ghoulie View Post
lets see a before / after shot. put the led bulb in the left socket, regular on the right, then do a day time picture and a night time picture to show the difference.
I tried to take some current pictures, but they really don't do the lighting any justice.

Sorry, but I don't have any more of the old-school bulbs...I threw them in the recycling bin after seeing the difference first hand. Standing behind the car while the new turn signals were doing that instantaneous ON-OFF, and seeing the brake lights light up...i was sold. If you admire the newer cars, of which some have these LED lamps, and how good they look in operation(either when the brakes are used or turn signals), then go for it. My primary concern was the current draw from the older set-up, and the ability of people to see me stopped at a light, or making turns/merging.

Again...the better to be seen, the better to be avoided(as many accidents are not a function of poor judgement or stupidity, but simply didn't make visual contact with the other car). If I remember correctly, the passenger who was with James Dean said his last words were:"he see's us, right?"
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so where did you buy them??
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
Autozone several years ago

Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: