Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
78scslantnose

Garage
"This isn't rocket science, my 3.8tt is aiming for 1,000 hp and it's nothing that special. No secrets, just how much $ you want to spend at a good shop." Thats funny it almost seems like your ego got the better of you.This thread simply started out with a video showing an impressive run.Then all the hating with "935's are king,that's nothing" attitude.What's even more impressive is that he does all the work himself to accomplish what he has.I guess that puts him ahead by a mile already.All you have to do is figure out How much more($) it is going to take?Maybe if there's enough in the budget you could put in some nos for that extra Umph to overcome the extra downforce or hire Rocket Scientist...

Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCSLANTNOSE View Post
"This isn't rocket science, my 3.8tt is aiming for 1,000 hp and it's nothing that special. No secrets, just how much $ you want to spend at a good shop." Thats funny it almost seems like your ego got the better of you.This thread simply started out with a video showing an impressive run.Then all the hating with "935's are king,that's nothing" attitude.What's even more impressive is that he does all the work himself to accomplish what he has.I guess that puts him ahead by a mile already.All you have to do is figure out How much more($) it is going to take?Maybe if there's enough in the budget you could put in some nos for that extra Umph to overcome the extra downforce or hire Rocket Scientist...
Couldn't agree with this more. People that do their own work rather than hire tuners is huge to me. I intend on doing all my own build work on my project, with the exception of a bit of dyno work that I will have to outsource.

Either way, both cars are impressive, but the flaming on this thread is a bit over the top.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

What is even funnier is that I've been doing the work myself on the car, even when I was paying someone else I was still right there doing everything I could, cutting, grinding and laying out the progress of the build.

My ego isn't part of the equation my only point was that boosting a motor at 38 psi will yeild a certain bhp, and its nothing new. Lets just say after getting to know the guy on a personal level, i lost all respect when i see and experienced how he treats people. So I'm probably more apt to speaking my mind in lieu of keeping quiet.

I'm done.

psi
Quote:

Quote de 78SCSLANTNOSE

Couldn't agree with this more. People that do their own work rather than hire tuners is huge to me. I intend on doing all my own build work on my project, with the exception of a bit of dyno work that I will have to outsource.

Either way, both cars are impressive, but the flaming on this thread is a bit over the top.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
What is even funnier is that I've been doing the work myself on the car, even when I was paying someone else I was still right there doing everything I could, cutting, grinding and laying out the progress of the build.

My ego isn't part of the equation my only point was that boosting a motor at 38 psi will yeild a certain bhp, and its nothing new. Lets just say after getting to know the guy on a personal level, i lost all respect when i see and experienced how he treats people. So I'm probably more apt to speaking my mind in lieu of keeping quiet.

I'm done.

psi
that is what makes your cars most impressive. I am new to this forum and still getting the feel for who does work and who buys work. I think my best choice of builds would be a mix between both of your cars. Lighter the better, but still a fairly streetable driver. I am sure that I am going to piss some people off with my build, but this is my car and I will build it the way I want.

Built not bought should have it's own thread on here...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
"I've been doing the work myself on the car, even when I was paying someone else I was still right there doing everything I could, cutting, grinding and laying out the progress of the build." That was really funny.Grinding a weld,Handing tools,taking pictures and Getting six packs don't mean you build your car or motor,that's what you paid for.I guess that's why you're mad.You can't boost your motor to 38psi without having to spend 10x's what he would if it dissintergrated.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Man, I was trying to keep quiet here, but all you guys are acting like *******s!

78SC, dude, seriously? why are you still antagonizing? let it ****ing go. (that goes for all the haters of BOTH CARS)

Reap, man, I know you run your mouth like your exhaust (wide open) and that's cool, but lets everybody chill out.

This is NOT a productive discussion, and whipping out dicks and waving em' around is not helping.

Eddie has a MONDO impressive car, a world record holder (is that still current) but anyway a massive achievement, and a fine ride.

Gabe is going a different route, more of a "Historic" 935 thing going on, with some modern touches, kind of a "retro rod" thing. I like it ALOT

Eddies car has that subtle attitude, and Gabe's is about as subtle as a 50 foot tall drag queen that's on fire. Both are top-shelf ass kickers. Why do we need to start pissing on them? why are we choosing sides? They were built with a differing ethos of performance. Can't we just stand back and drool over both of them instead of trying to get nasty about it?

Reap "Lets just say after getting to know the guy on a personal level, i lost all respect when i see and experienced how he treats people. So I'm probably more apt to speaking my mind in lieu of keeping quiet."

Well, I don't know either of y'all yet (although I wanna make it to next turbopalooza, so that will help). But attacking someones character is not really a part of this, hell, Eddie might be the biggest ******* ever, and Gabe could be an arrogant prick that makes Simon Cowell look like Mr. Rogers. WHO CARES????!!!!!! this thread is to appreciate a pretty cool run.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop the hating and let this thread die already. I beg you, please.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

78scslantnose

Garage
I don't hate on Gabe's car.I like 935's.But don't talk **** out of mouth with the I'm unimpressed crap say 935's have been doing it since the dark ages.Give credit where credit is due.If not simply leave the page.Like I said before all Juan did was post a video of the run and haters took it sideways from there.FYI I also tightened up the valve covers on the motor I sent to rebuild.Maybe I could say I rebuilt it myself.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
well, according to your profile, you had your buddies shop rebuild your tranny, so guess your not above paying for some stuff too right?

All I am saying is everybody just chill out. Yeah, Gabe gets all biblical about the 935's, and thats cool. They WERE a ground breaking car. like the 917, and the RSR's. I don't think his intention was to piss all over eddies car (it might have been, but i dont know). But he was pointing out that big power, high speed 911 derivatives have been done before, long before. and that IS correct. So is eddies car a legendary, ground breaking car? well no, not really.

It IS however, one of the finest examples of a super street machine I have seen in a while.

Lets just all be friends alright?

Last edited by Groovie Ghoulie; 10-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: I cant spell for anything tonight
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, from what I can get, Everybody has been "MOSTLY" polite up until a few nasty comments.

Gabe only said
"Regardless, we are just starting to pick up on the power and potential that the speed shop guys were making 30 years ago at the factory."

pkracer is the first jackass who contributes the steaming pile of insight

"935's are just 930's with fiberglass fenders, big turbos, big tires, and an aluminum roll cage...nothing too special. Kremer put a couple on the street back in the day. it was only tabu in the states."

Maybe you should go hang out in a muscle car forum

Gabe fires back (albeit letting personal opinions shine through a bit)

"Let's just say they started to show the potential that only now is being celebrated today. Most things that are being done today are based on what the factory already did and while fast modern cars are cool, they are definitely not as ground breaking as some would lead to in order to sell overpriced products to people without the supporting mods. I don't like people that take advantage of others by price gouging just because they can, based on a flimsy reputation. How you treat others says alot about you and the work you do, and like I said before, The drag run looked cool but by no means impresses me, neither does the car, motor or anything else about it."

Ok, so what he said is his opinion. Its not unusual to see 1000+ HP forced induction imports nowadays, so its not the "Oh my god, lets all worship at its feet" attitude, So what? Gabe is awestruck by the original trendsetter, the 935. SO WHAT?

The 78SC joins the fray with this nugget of ASSumption:

"I take it nothing impresses you but your own car,which by the way looks like a couple of other 935 race cars out there."

NOT ONCE did he say his car was better than Eddies, he was just not super impressed by a modified street car. That's not a sin, he just likes the factory racers who were groundbreaking and legendary. SO WHAT???? Thats like being mad someone ignored your 88' turbo because it was parked next to a 917K. Get over it man, he just likes the extreme racers better.

After that it all spirals into a festival of as.sholes.

its not worth it guys
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
Yeah maybe I can say that I rebuilt that too as I tightened the side cover.And I Didn't have to pay for a tranny with 2 new gears.I guess I'm Lucky.All I said was give credit where credit is due.And you did just that"It IS however, one of the finest examples is a super street machine I have seen in a while". But he was pointing out that big power, high speed 911 derivatives have been done before, long before. and that IS correct".Yeah eddie's been doing it since the early 90's
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCSLANTNOSE View Post
Yeah maybe I can say that I rebuilt that too as I tightened the side cover.And I Didn't have to pay for a tranny with 2 new gears.I guess I'm Lucky.All I said was give credit where credit is due.And you did just that"It IS however, one of the finest examples is a super street machine I have seen in a while". But he was pointing out that big power, high speed 911 derivatives have been done before, long before. and that IS correct".Yeah eddie's been doing it since the early 90's
Not taking anything from eddies car, but the factory boys beat him to it by like 20 years. That's all Gabe was sayin'
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
78scslantnose

Garage
I guess we are reading two different threads as Gabe fired off first and twice at that.Almost 10 minutes apart.What he forgot he had already posted it.Then pkracer shot back. I sat in the car they did this in, it's 98% production chassis. 935-001.

Regardless, we are just starting to pick up on the power and potential that the speed shop guys were making 30 years ago at the factory.

This isn't rocket science, my 3.8tt is aiming for 1,000 hp and it's nothing that special. No secrets, just how much $ you want to spend at a good shop. It doesn't have to cost a schit ton if you get people that won't screw you over.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, so how is that a slam on eddies car? he was making a valid point. Power in motorsports is directly related to cost. If you don't know that yet you need your head examined.

Pk fired the first flame round. Period. It was a direct SLAM on Gabe's choice of a 935 clone.

You just joined the crowd and attacked Gabe's (in your mind) love obsession with his own car.

I am not "impressed" with 1500 HP supras anymore, so why be impressed with any other high HP forced induction street motor. They are cool: Yes, they are difficult to build: Yes, but its not really as you say "rocket science" to build one nowadays. doing it back in the 70's when the tech was virtually unkown? yeah, now i am impressed.

But you know what, I made my point. It is a a sound factual point. you are letting personal opinion cloud your judgment. I am going to be a better man and let this s.hit drop. You are butthurt, and need to get that sand out of that vag you got. Let it go man, and Charlie Mike.

Last edited by Groovie Ghoulie; 10-02-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

By next Spring this little p--sing contest is going to take three bookies just to handle all the bets. As the tired old saying goes: "Put your money where your mouth is."
Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Reaper, can you please show me where Moby Dick did 255mph? From what I have read, in 1978 (the only year Porsche raced Moby Dick) the highest recorded speed for Moby Dick was 365kph(approx 227mph) on a 3 mile long straight(Les Hunaudieres/Le Mans)with a running start(coming off a turn) and approx 845HP.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

1978 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick' - Images, Specifications and Information
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to stay AWAY from any personal attacks as thats not my style, so thats the end of that.

All that information about gears, body kits, MPH etc etc is all good information, I don't have any data to argue or question any of that... Sorry about that.

Gabe gets the Blackbird sorted we will find out.

Group Hug! AMEN to that Brother!!! HOWEVER,this is what will need to happen...

Dyno Sheets or Video better than 1200 RWHP at ANY Boost

236 MPH+ on o to 1 Mile certified with a Tag Recording System

9.45 or Better in the 1/4 Mile Certified NHRA race track ( Best 1/4 mile time of the car so far, record is 9.16)

In another Friendly NOTE, NO ONE YET in a Porsche ( that we know of it) has been able to go faster than Bello on a 0 to 1 Mile NOT EVEN the guys from Evolution Motorsports!!

Again is all good, no insults, no personal attacks is all good clean fun.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

It just occured to me, the 1987 Road & Track Top Speed Test had not just Ruf's Yellowbird, but also a 935 bodied Koenig Porsche with a RS Tuning built engine rated at 50 more horsepower than Yellowbird, that could not beat Ruf's lower powered narrow body car.

Last edited by Ollies930; 10-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
What are we comparing here? Seems like we are comparing two different types of machines. The 935 was built to shred corners with a compromised top speed, while yellow bird was designed to push the top speed envelope. Two amazing cars, just wondering the point of comparing the two.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Good Question, I think we lost track of that the thread was about, LOL who cares anyways is about Porsche HP Junkies!!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: