Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
mystery dial

I discovered this small dial on the center console yesterday, it is a about the size of a nickel and turns endlessly, it is connected to a small box on the back side that is definitely electronic. any thoughts 84 930 slant

Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
BTW its the dial above the rubber boot and dead center between-the A/Controls a little below them.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It adjusts the 80's music to more or less crappy.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Some alarm systems have a sensitivity adjustment with a dial. Or it could be an attenuation knob for a subwoofer. What kind of other electronics are installed in the car?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
it has 2 subs under the seats and a amp, its all factory done, I though it was added but when I started looking closely it is all done by porsche or werks 1 or whoever did the mods. it has a built in equalizer right above this picture I posted. I am going to put a blaupunkt back in. Wasn't there a dial somewhere for the Turbo? I remember reading something about a Turbo adjustment.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dude. that center console is totally modded and the only thing there recognizable are the A/C controls.. I think you're on your own on this one!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6pilot View Post
it adjusts the 80's music to more or less crappy.
:lol:
Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
so why is it a after market mod? Am I to believe that in 1984 a stereo company made a equalizer to go in a car that was not even made for the USA? I mean the thing fits perfectly into the space its in, does not appear to be hacked in there and the wiring is not spliced up any where. but I guess who knows?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I agree it's a well done aftermarket installation.
Alot of people here have been around 911's and other German cars for around 3 decades or more includeing me.

I have never seen anything like that in a 911 console. The face panel is easy to cut out cleanly and accurately and most anyone that takes pride in their work can do professional looking wiring and shrink tube it to look origonal.
The round knob is generic whatever and not from Porsche and the slider knobs with the horizontal white line look like late seventies BMW 320i dash vent slider control knobs but not from an eightees 320i because they changed the dash vent and HVAC controls along with alot of other things.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I am trying to get it back to factory specs do if anyone has any pics of a similar year console I would love to see it so I can unmod any mods for the lack of a better term. thanks for any help
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here is the closest shot I have...everything below the AC knobs is a shelf BTW

Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
nice looking interior, thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

J,

The dial for boost you were referring to in your previous post is called a adjustable boost control. They were added by owners or tuners to allow raising the boost level from the cockpit of the car. Better known here as the dial of death.
The factory installed adjustable boost controls went on factory racing turbo only.

The dial of death was so named because it is the fastest way to cause detonation, break rings, melt pistons, and destroy motors known to man. The waste gate boost spring, which controls boost level, is typically .8 bar from the factory. That is the max. boost level the factory considers safe for a 3.3L Turbo motor. Any boost level above the factory.8 bar should NEVER be used without proper engine modifications to support that higher boost level.

With several thousand dollars of engine modifications higher boost levels can be run safely but an electronic boost controller should be used in conjunction with the modifications to do it safely.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
that makes since, to much messing with something that is already good if you ask me. as far as a boost control
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
so I just spent the last 2 hours ripping all of the 1980 stereo crap out of my car. can someone send me or post a nice clean picture of a 84 or similar year center console that is stock. I am trying to see if they cut the back out or if there are inserts that go in. thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
In case any of the new guys have a mid 80's porsche.. I was down getting some oil this weekend to a local shop that does mostly Porsche and asked him about a wire that is in the engine compartment that is not connected. He told me it goes to a fuel enrichment controller that should be up in the front. I said was it typically a small dial that would turn endlessly, he said yes. So apparently that dial I found would control the fuel mixture. THe car runs fine without it but just a FYI. THe unconnected wire goes to some type of a resistor and is laying next to a small white box with 2 other wires coming out of it. I will post a picture.

15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: